Ways to Support Social Justice as a Busy University Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

Let’s be real, it’s hard to find time to support social justice. Trying to focus on school, and basically anything else on top of that, is a challenge. Trying to support social justice isan extra stressor but, if you are passionate  about social justice issues like me, you should try to find a little extra time because you want to make a change in this world. This article is here to help when it seems like everything is falling apart, here are some small ways to feel like you are making a change while continuing to focus on everything else. Here are 3 easy ways to support the social justice movement at different level of involvement.

1. Learn

If you are short on time but still want to feel like you are doing something, simply take some time to learn. Learn about privilege, intersectional feminism, equality, and how to create inclusive spaces. University is all about learning so take the opportunity to do so because learning and shaping your mindset to  gain a social justice lens can be the start to creating big change. Use every opportunity to learn, find your passion and go with it

2. Support

Another way to be involved with social justice is to show your support. Share articles on social change, encourage folks who are doing awesome work, write letters. Support the people who are creating social change and learn from them (again, it all comes back to learning). Another way to show your support is by following different social media accounts so that the information you see is in line with your goals of wanting to learn and create social change. Also, supporting people who are also making social change allows you to be surrounded by social justice, which can  keep your mind on where you want to be.

3. Engage

Now the last step is to engage. If you have the time, find a group on-campus, or off-campus, that is creating change about something you are passionate about. Some great groups on-campus who are creating great social change include: ASCC, Amnesty, and Wusc. Again, if you do not have the time, you can easily support these groups or even take the time to learn about them.

There are easy and simple steps to bringing social justice into your day to day life even when things seem hectic. Having something to do that involves your passions is also a great act of self care and community care, so find what works best for you and have social justice be apart of your routine!

alexa stucke

Laurier Brantford '21

My name is Alexa, I am a second year social work student. When I am not studying I enjoy to write poetry and practice yoga. I also can be seen in the gym either coaching or playing basketball. I hope to share insight on self love and how to better yourself through my writing here with Her campus!
Bryanna Millben

Laurier Brantford '20

Hi! I'm a fourth-year at Wilfrid Laurier University working towards a BA in English with a minor in History, and the Campus Correspondent/President for HC Laurier Brantford. I have a super sweet golden retriever named Marley, and aspire to work in Public Relations.