This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

Titanic II is set to sail the exact same route as RMS Titanic in 2022 and it is the exact replica of the original.

An Australian businessman and politician, Clive Palmer, announced the project back in 2012, in collaboration with a shipping company Blue Star Line, who are building Titanic II.

According to Palmer, “it will be every bit as luxurious as the original Titanic, but … will have state-of-the-art 21st century technology.”

The route is set to sail from Dubai first, then to Southampton, England, before arriving to New York. After the trip, the ship is planned to act as a normal cruise ship that will sail around the world.

The project costs around 500 million dollars and is set to carry over 2,400 passengers along with 500 crew members. Titanic II is considered to be one of the most expensive cruise ships in the world.

The interiors will be a direct copy of the original Titanic, including the grand stairway, first class cabins, second class cabins and more.

In 1912, RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner built by Harland and Wolff Heavy Industries and sank by the Newfoundland coast, caused by hitting an iceberg.  

The real-life event inspired the 1997 movie, Titanic, directed by a Canadian James Cameron. The movie won 11 Academy Awards that include Best Picture and Best Director, along with 14 other Academy Award nominations.

Liz Shiro

Laurier Brantford '21

I am a second year journalism student at Laurier Brantford. This year I am the communication director for Digital Media and Journalism Student Association. I am passionate about writing, videography and makeup. I also create videos for She Scores and play badminton.