Tips for a Productive Fall Reading Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

Fall reading week is almost here, which is probably a relief if you have been doing a lot of schoolwork lately. But, even though reading week starts off with Thanksgiving on Monday, it shouldn’t just be a vacation. In fact, a study found that many students feel stressed about their academic performance after the break, while before the break, their stresses come more from general issues, such as money, bad roommates and social pressure. This suggests many students may have a lot of work due right after reading week, but might not be using their break to its full potential.

Another study found that students who use the reading week to actually do schoolwork feel less stressed after the break. So, although you might not have an exam coming up and feel totally caught up, reading week gives you a chance to work ahead while still putting aside some time for relaxing.

Here are three strategies to use your reading week effectively:

Make a plan ahead of time.

Before reading week arrives, it is a good idea to plan what you want to get accomplished over the week. Looking at all the assignments and deadlines coming up after the break may be overwhelming, but planning what you have to do and scheduling when to do it can help. This is especially helpful if you have social plans during the break and are unsure of when you can set aside time for homework. A study found that short-range planning, or planning closer to the time you are planning for, is more determinate of better grades than long-range planning. So, it may not be a great idea to plan your reading week tasks during the first week of the semester and better to do so just before the break. Making a plan after you have had a few weeks to get a feel for the demands of each class will likely allow you to know what assignments you should start first or may need more attention.

Cut the workload down to small amounts at a time.

Another tip for getting the most out of your reading week is to study in smaller sessions. This idea may seem like it will just drag out the amount of studying you do throughout the break but, doing smaller amounts of homework at a time may feel less overwhelming. Also, working with fewer topics at a time lets you focus all your energy on that one task and you will likely do better work as a result. One study found that the practice of spacing your work over several days, instead of doing all your work in one sitting, leads to better retention of that information. So, smaller study sessions don’t just help you work around a busy schedule but can be beneficial in allowing you to learn and remember more.

Set time aside for self-care.

Lastly, but perhaps most importantly, the reading week break from school gives you a chance to focus on you – not just the readings and assignments. School can get busy and can be stressful. Taking a break from the regular routine of attending classes, reading textbooks and doing assignments lets you take some time to focus on how you are feeling and do the things that you enjoy. The break also gives you a chance to spend time with family and friends that you haven’t seen for a while.

Overall, the fall reading week is almost here and can be a very productive time, but it’s only going to be what you make it. Wishing you a great week off!

Jonnica Hill

Laurier Brantford '21

Hey I'm Jonnica and I am passionate about writing, music, photography, fashion and so much more. I was a founding member of the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter, and over my three years with the team have been a writer, editor, marketing director and co-Campus Correspondent. Digital Media and Journalism, Class of 2021