This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

A couple of years ago, if you had asked for a media reference, people would have told you they saw it on Instagram, Twitter or YouTube. Now, things have changed, and nearly every reference you hear is from TikTok. 

According to Oberlo.ca, since the app came into existence in 2017, there are 800 million active TikTok users worldwide, out of which 41% are between the ages of 16 to 24. Oberlo.ca also showed that TikTok users spend an average of 52 minutes on the app every day. 

These statistics show that TikTok is extremely popular, and some may think it is even becoming an addiction. I know that I can get lost for hours on TikTok just because the unique videos never seem to end. The popularity also stems from the app’s different app trends and how quickly TikTok users participate in them. TikTok’s algorithm is also set up more effortless to make content go viral than other apps, which draws more creators to the app. 

The most exciting point about TikTok has come up recently as more and more people gain all of their knowledge on various topics from the app. There are videos on the app that teach you viral dances and recipes, but there are also videos that teach you about stocks or how to change a tire. The number of different topics is so vast that people often say they are on different sides of Tik Tok depending on which videos show up on their For You Page. While I may be on FoodTok, my friend might be on FashionTok while another is on GamingTok. 

This works because TikTok is catering to the small attention span in our generation. With videos being no longer than a minute, the audience is directed straight to the point and know within a few seconds if this video is going to benefit them or not. 

TikTok is now taking advantage of the idea of “learning from TikTok” and has launched TikTok Learn, which is another tab you would find on your phone that houses only the educational tutorial style videos. This aspect of TikTok benefits both users and creators as it separates the educational videos from the entertainment ones. It allows users to choose what they want to view and interact with, and it will enable creators to separate the various types of content they create easily. 

With the new TikTok Learn, attention is now going to the Creator Fund on TikTok as well. This fund allows creators to profit off of their TikTok videos as long as they have a substantial amount of likes and followers coming in. 

TikTok is continuing a steady growth and is taking out the competition, such as YouTube tutorials, with ease. There is no sign that this app is going away soon, and as addicting as it may be, the benefits speak for themselves.

Koyal Vyas

Laurier Brantford '22

Fourth Year Digital Media and Journalism student, Hockey fanatic, Lover of smarties and pizza and secretly wishing I was at Hogwarts right now.
.