love foil balloon
love foil balloon
Mandy von Stahl on Unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

Since getting engaged on December 31st, 2019, I have often gotten the question: “How did you and your fiancé meet?” For many, this is an elaborate story and one they love telling. For myself and my fiancée this is one we used to regret being asked and shied away from answering. Since getting engaged, this question has become a lot easier to answer.

This is the story about how I met my fiancé Mason and why I am happy to tell it.

In July of 2017, I made the choice many of my peers did and downloaded the app Tinder. After a rough break-up and some influence from friends, I downloaded the app known for hookups and awful pick up lines. I had 0 intentions when I downloaded the app but an obvious want for attention. After diving into the world of swiping left and right, I came across a young man holding a cute puppy. (I would later learn it was a friend’s dog and have yet to meet the cute puppy.)

Small talk turned into phone calls, which eventually turned into a coffee date. I still don’t know what I was thinking meeting a stranger at a Tim Hortons in a small town (10/10 would not recommend, I should have brought a friend) but I am thankful I went and he was exactly who he said he was. From that first conversation, I knew this young man was going to mean something in my life, I was just not aware of what that impact, and his role in my life, would be.

As time progressed, we spent more time together, met each other’s friends, and he even brought me to the church he was attending. At the time, I did not recognize how important it was to bring me to his youth group and Sunday service. It is such an intimate part of someone’s life and I was welcomed into it so openly.

As I began to realize how awesome this man was, I got scared. I was scared I would be hurt like many times before, that my feelings would be hurt and my heart broken. Not thinking about the kind heart of Mason, I walked away from our early relationship. While this walk was short, it still occurred, and was a poor choice on my part. After our short time away I realized Mason was someone special and I needed to reconnect with him. We reconnected and while it was an awful time, it is just as much a part of our story.

Since October 2017 we have been unstoppable. Through the fights and challenges that life throws, we have continued to choose to love each other and be a team each and every day. I am no longer ashamed of my Tinder love story because without it, I would not be marrying my favourite human being this coming Fall!

Do I recommend going to download Tinder right away? Absolutely not, but what I do recommend is being proud of your love story. Whether you met your significant other through friends, at a bar or through Tinder, be proud of your story. Without it, you would not have your special someone!

Kendra Bartels

Laurier Brantford '21

I am a third-year criminology student at Laurier Brantford! You can almost always count on me to have a coffee in my hand! I am a dog mom to the cutest pup and now a wife to the best husband (I might be biased). Let's do life together and laugh along the way!