This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

Halloween is right around the corner and I have nothing to wear. I usually plan out a costume months ahead of time. I haven’t even stepped foot in a costume store this year (I know I can’t afford to, honestly). This year, I plan to aim for the cheapest option possible because let’s face it, I’m broke. This Halloween, I plan on putting together a DIY costume, which will save a ton of money. So if you’re like me and still haven’t figured out what you and your friends are going to dress up as, or if you’re looking for a budget friendly group costume, this is for you!

Mario & Luigi: Iconic Duos (best for two people)

This costume can be easily accomplished with: two t-shirts (one red and one green), two baseball caps (one red and one green), two pairs of either jeans or jean shorts, two pairs of suspenders, paper, a marker, scissors and some tape. All that really needs to be done is writing either an “M” or “L” on the paper, cutting it into a circle, and taping it to the front-centre of each hat.

Salt & Pepper: Iconic Duos (best for two people)

This is likely the most simple costume on this list. You will need two t-shirts (black and white) and fabric paint (black and white). You will need to paint a “P” or “S” on each shirt and that’s literally it. You can accessorize with black and white details too!

Rock Paper Scissors: Trios (best for three people)

This costume is definitely one of the cheapest options from the list. All you need is: five pieces of white Bristol board, yarn, brown paint and various coloured markers. First, trace out the three shapes (rock, paper, scissors) onto each Bristol board. You should have two rocks, two papers, and one scissor. Cut them out and colour them in however you see fit. I would suggest using the brown paint for the rock and using a sponge to apply it so you can achieve more of a rough texture (but it depends on your personal preference).

Alvin, Simon, Theodore: Trios (best for three people)

This is one of the more simple options, but probably my personal favourite. What you will need is: three hoodies (blue, red, and green), eyeliner, two pieces of white fabric and one piece of yellow fabric, fabric glue and three pairs of any pants or shorts. Trace out the letters “S” and “T” onto the white fabrics and cut those out. Then trace out the “A” and cut that out as well. Use fabric glue to adhere the letters to the correct colours (as per the image). You can use the eyeliner to draw small chipmunk-like noses, and you’re ready to go!

Ninja Turtles: Small Group (best for four people)

This is a fairly simple costume. You could add more to it if you wanted to, but here is as basic as it gets. You will need: four green t-shirts, four other t-shirts or any fabric (orange, purple, blue, and red), black pants, green paint, yarn, four turkey roasting pans, aluminum foil and eight empty toilet paper rolls. Start off with painting all of the roasting pans green and leaving them to dry overnight. Once they are dry, attach the yarn (enough that it can be worn like a backpack) to create the perfect turtle shell! Wrap the toilet paper rolls in aluminum foil and attach them together in pairs using yarn for your nunchucks. Finally, cut up the multicoloured fabrics into strips (five strips of each colour).

Crayons: The Whole Squad (best for more than four people)

This costume may take a little bit of extra work, but it’s still super cute! You will need: as many shirts as you have people (in different colours), tutus in the same colours as the shirts, and bandanas in the same colours as everything else. For the shirts, it would be best to go to a place that will print designs onto shirts and have them print the crayon design onto it. If this isn’t possible for you, then I would suggest using black fabric paint and a steady hand to paint the design yourself. And there you have the cutest crayons!

Hydroflasks: The Whole Squad (best for more than four people)

Bring out your inner VSCO girl with this look! All you need for this is multicoloured t-shirts and black leggings! You would need to go to the store to get the hydro flask logo printed or you could use white fabric paint to do this yourself if you need to.

Whatever you decide to dress up as, or if you decide not to dress up at all, I hope you have an awesome Halloween! Have fun and stay safe!

Rachel Cleland

Laurier Brantford '23

I'm a first year student in the Social Work program at Laurier Brantford. I'm doing a double minor in Community Health and Indigenous Studies. On my free time I love reading, listening to music, and going to way too many concerts!
.