This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

Since its release just before Christmas, many people have been swooning over the Netflix original Bridgerton. Being based on the novels by Julia Quinn, and being backed by the creator of shows like Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal and How To Get Away With Murder, it’s no surprise the show has done well and will likely be renewed for at least a second season! If you’ve already finished watching the series or rewatching it, you may be looking for other shows and movies to watch with a similar vibe. Fear not! Here are some films you may be interested in, all available to stream on Netflix too!

The Age of Innocence

An 1800s New York love affair? That’s what the 1993 romance drama The Age of Innocence is all about. Directed by Martin Scorsese, this film stars Daniel Day-Lewis, Michelle Pfeiffer and Winona Ryder and is based on the 1920 novel of the same name. With drama and scandal, this film is sure to please anyone who loves those aspects of Bridgerton!

Mary Queen of Scots

Released in 2018, and being the last movie I saw in the theatre before the COVID-19 pandemic began, Mary Queen of Scots follows the mid-1500s feuding between Mary Stuart and her cousin Elizabeth I, Queen of England. The film stars the brilliant Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie as Mary and Elizabeth respectively. With family drama, public scandal, love affairs and more, this film shows us that the themes explored in Bridgerton go back even further than the 1800s.

Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Continuing on the Queen Elizabeth train, Netflix is home to 2007’s Elizabeth: The Golden Age which picks up where its predecessor Elizabeth left off in 1998. Directed by Shekhar Kapur, The Golden Age follows Cate Blanchett as the Queen in the second half of her reign. Like the 2018 film that features Margot Robbie, this film also touches on the fighting between Elizabeth and her cousin Mary Stuart over the English throne.

Ophelia

This 2018 film follows Ophelia’s experiences in the story of her potential husband, Hamlet. With Star Wars’ Daisy Ridley starring as the title character, Ophelia uncovers new perspectives to Shakespeare’s honoured writings. The film also features Naomi Watts, Clive Owen, George MacKay and Tom Felton. While a little darker than the witty, sensual nature of Bridgerton, this film offers a glimpse into the life of the women of Hamlet and their roles in the family drama and tragedy.

The Duchess

Set in 18th century England, the 2008 film The Duchess stars Keira Knightly as Georgiana Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire. Marrying a Duke at a young age and held to the expectation to quickly deliver his male heir, the duchess ends up having an affair with another man. Like some of the other titles I have mentioned above, this romantic period drama offers similar themes to Bridgerton, with slightly more serious and darker tones.

While nothing could totally replace or replicate what Shonda Rhimes and Chris Van Dusen created with Bridgerton, these films offer similar period piece vibes and scandalous themes that will hopefully help tide you over until the next season is released!

Jonnica Hill

Laurier Brantford '21

Hey I'm Jonnica and I am passionate about writing, music, photography, fashion and so much more. I was a founding member of the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter, and over my three years with the team have been a writer, editor, marketing director and co-Campus Correspondent. Digital Media and Journalism, Class of 2021