How to Stay Organized During Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

Midterms, one of the most haunting parts of our syllabi. For some people, it means getting sick, being stressed, and/or losing sleep. We all know midterms don’t last one day – it’s a whole season of dread that comes with each new semester. Sometimes it’s hard to stay motivated and get things done, but we know we have to do it.

Midterms are hard to prepare for and get through but here are some tips that might make it easier:

Plan ahead.

A four-month calendar may help you plan out the whole semester, that way you can see what assignments and tests are coming up. Sometimes seeing everything in front of you is easier, and in the end, better. If you see you have a midterm coming up, start making notes and plan studying schedules around classes, work, and/or extracurricular activities.

Take study breaks.

Immersing yourself in one specific topic can be tiring and less effective when studying for a long period of time. Get out of your room or study space and go interact with other people. You could cook something, go for a walk, go to the bathroom, anything! It’s important to get out of your head for a little while and not focus on one thing for too long.

Have snacks.

It helps to have something to munch on while reading or studying. Be sure to drink water as well. Staying hydrated will help you remain concentrated and retain information.

Know what works best for you.

If studying includes writing everything out by hand, reading notes over and over again, colour coding, or cue cards, do it! If your process is a little longer, be sure to plan ahead and give yourself a reasonable amount of time. This way you won’t feel as pressured, but you will have enough time to study. Being able to study effectively according to your needs is the key to understanding, processing, and knowing what you need to know.

Ask for help.

If you don’t understand a concept right from the get-go, ask for help! Asking professors might be intimidating, but remember their job is to teach and help, which is why we pay so much for school! If there’s a TA, you can ask them or you can ask other classmates if you don’t feel comfortable talking to your instructor. Once you pinpoint what you don’t understand, it becomes easier to address and find answers.

Work first, rest later.

Once you know that you’ve done the best you can, coming home from a midterm can be so relieving and relaxing. It’s important to rest to make up for the time you spent studying. Watch a movie, go out with friends, play on your phone, or simply sleep. Knowing it’s over is one of the best feelings, so make time to appreciate it.

If you’re in first year and don’t know what to expect yet, it’s normal for midterms to feel nerve-wracking. Regardless of what year you’re in, being prepared will help keep your stress levels down. Different things will work for different people, but having support in all aspects is important during these times. Good luck, Golden Hawks!

Laura Gracia

Wilfrid Laurier '21

I am currently a second year study at Laurier Brantford, i’m studying criminology and I have loved it so far! I am planning to go to law school in the future and maybe, get a masters degree in politics.