This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

This year has changed the way we work more than ever before. Instead of driving to work, stopping and picking up a coffee, and eventually settling down at your workspace, we find ourselves rolling out of bed, turning our computers on, and hopping into zoom meetings. I recently found myself in the position of having to work from home for my student field placement. I had a lot of anxiety going into it; I was asking myself questions like what are my days going to look like and how will I ensure I keep myself accountable? I was concerned about the screen time as well as not feeling comfortable in my work without having the same supervision as I would have in the office with my supervisors and co-workers. This virtual disruption of our routine, of our lives, is not something to be taken lightly. Some people are benefiting from this new virtual workspace, however, this is still a difficult time for everyone to navigate. Though everyone is different, in this article I hope to give you some advice on how to make working from home, work for you.

Have a Routine 

There is nothing that I can stress more than the importance of having a routine. I think that when most people hear the word “routine” they think of this dreamy, luxurious, and unattainable goal. Routine can be anything; the whole point is to do things that make you feel good, in a way that makes sense to you. Your routine can be as simple or as complicated as you like; it can be as free-flowing or as strict, it all depends on how you like to do self-care. In the morning this can mean including things like, doing skincare, making a coffee, getting dressed for work (even though you’re not going anywhere), or eating breakfast. This is my personal routine: 

– Wake up between 7:30/8:00 whenever feels the most comfortable that day

– Check my phone 

– Shower and get dressed (leggings or sweatpants most days) 

– Skincare and hair 

– Coffee and breakfast (usually something simple like toast and some fruit) 

– Check my to-do list for the day (made the night before) 

– Sit down at my desk and start my workday 

These simple tasks that I perform every morning help me feel like I’m starting my day right as well as help keep me on track in the mornings so that I remain productive. Your morning routine can look however you like, just remember that everything you’re doing should be making you feel like you’re having a great start to your day!

Work in a Separate Space from where You Wind Down 

Now I know this can be tough living in student housing or dorms where you often have a limited amount of space, however, I think it is super important for your workspace to be different from where you relax for the day. Whether this is at the desk in your room, your living room, or dorm common areas, if you have access to them, ensuring that your workspace remains separate from where you unwind means ensuring that you have some separation from work and life. When working from home we often feel like we always have to be working. It’s important to remember that it’s okay to still take time away from the computer and from work despite our lives seemingly revolving around technology. 

Take Breaks 

As I mentioned above, when we’re working from home, we often feel like we always have to be working, that is why it is so important to take breaks. Someone said to me that when working from home we forget about the small things we would normally have at work such as chatting with coworkers, getting up to stretch, or making another coffee. The extended periods of screen time can be exhausting and difficult to get through. Taking 10-15 minute breaks every once in a while, to get a break from the computer as well as stretch your legs, will make you more productive than if you were to suffer through an entire day of staring at your computer. 

Navigating the world of working from home can seem daunting at first. However, once you settle into a routine that works for you, find a comfortable workspace, and find a good balance between work and self-care, it gets easier by the day!

Trinity Sheppard

Wilfrid Laurier '22

She is a 3rd year Social Work student with a minor in Indigenous studies. When she's not watching her DVD's or listening to her vinyl collection you can find her painting, drawing, or hanging out with family and friends.
.