This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

I hope all Her Campus readers have been taking care during these times! The article I had planned to write seems irrelevant currently, so I thought I would simply share a few things that I have been making sure are a part of my new routine during my time staying home.

For some people a set schedule has been very helpful, I’ve seen countless posts on twitter of people’s “self –isolation routines”, such as; “9 am wake up, 10 am workout, 11-1 homework…”. While these routines work for a lot of people, in this situation I like my days to feel different rather than all the same, so a looser schedule allows me to have structure and productivity while also making my days feel more unique rather than uniform and repetitive.  

Whenever I need to step away from my homework, I call the people I love. This has been the most helpful for me, so I make sure I Facetime someone at least once a day (if you don’t have FaceTime there is always Skype, Snapchat video calls and Facebook video calls). It’s just nice to see a friendly face. Yesterday my friends and I tried the “Netflix Party ” for the first time, and I honestly think it’s the best invention since sliced bread. All you need for this is Google chrome, and to download the extension on this website:  https://www.netflixparty.com/. I’m really bad with computers, so if I can do it anyone can. The “screening” started at one and it was BYOQS (bring your own quarantine snacks). We picked the funniest movie we could find – Twilight. I laughed the whole movie at the comments popping up at the side from my friends, and while I was alone I didn’t feel like I was at all.

Staying active is another thing I have been making sure is a part of my day to day life at home. This can range from yoga, an at home workout, or just walking my dog (YouTube is the place for free workout videos if you find working out at home difficult). When I’m doing these things I make sure to not read or watch the news. It’s important to stay updated, but I think stepping away and taking a break from the constant news cycle is healthy right now. I wish I could have written this article with the perfect routine to get through this, but just like everyone else, I am taking this day by day. Stay safe!

Jessica Hanson

Laurier Brantford '21

Jessica Hanson is a fourth year student at Wilfrid Laurier University working towards a BA in English, and double minor in History and Professional Writing.
.