Style > Beauty

An Honest Review of the Zoella x Colourpop Launch: Eyeshadow Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

Disclaimer – This post is NOT SPONSORED by Zoella or Colourpop. Additionally, I do not claim to be a makeup artist, nor a makeup fanatic. I am just your average university student who likes to wear eyeshadow (when she actually puts makeup on).

On February 27th, 2019, British Youtuber and businesswomen Zoe Sugg, known as Zoella, released a makeup line collaboration with the well-known American makeup brand Colourpop. The collection, titled Bruch Date, features an eyeshadow palette, 2 liquid eyeshadows, 2 eyeliners, a blush, a highlighter, three liquid lip kits, and three matte lip colours. The collection ranges from $5.00 USD for the crème gel eyeliners, all the way to $18.00 USD for the palette. You can even purchase the entire PR package for $89.00 USD, which comes in a clear plastic makeup bag.

I am not a massive lipstick wearer nor do I wear of eyeliner or blush so, when the collection launched, I was only really interested in the palette and the liquid eyeshadows. I also have EXTREMELY sensitive skin and am super limited when it comes to what makeup I can wear, especially around my eyes. I have thankfully been able to find a makeup brand that doesn’t irritate my eyes and my skin, Too Faced, so I tend not to stray from it. But, Too Faced can be on the pricier side, so I don’t own many of the brand’s products.

I was excited about the price of the Zoella x Colourpop range, but a tad worried because I had never used Colourpop products before and, being as affordable as they are, I was apprehensive. I was mostly intrigued by the super nova liquid eyeshadows but had heard that the Stila brand liquid shadows were a tad aggressive on the eyes. Nevertheless, I ordered both the palette and the liquid shadows from the Zoella x Colourpop collection and waited excitedly for them to arrive.

Since the products have arrived, I can honestly say that, for $18, the palette is okay. I was a tad underwhelmed about the colour payoff from the shadows, considering I had heard good things about Colourpop’s shadows. They are a little chalky in my opinion and they produce a lot of fall off from the brush. Some critics dislike the natural colour palette but it is the perfect range of colours for someone like myself, who enjoys a more natural everyday look.

I personally would never wear the electric blue shade out in public, but when I was playing around with it I was disappointed in how much effort it took to get a decent colour. Keep in mind, I am comparing the Colourpop palette to Too faced which is known for having a creamy formula. So my overall opinion on the palette is that it is an $18 palette. Don’t expect more than that.

I was very excited about the liquid shadows and I now love them. Well, I love one of them more than the other, but for a $14 USD bundle, I can’t complain. The bundle offered two colours, “OG” and “Bellini”, which come in the Group Hug pack. I am not a huge fan of “OG” because it has silver glitter in it and creates a lot of fall out with the sparkles falling under and around my eyes. “Bellini” on the other hand, I have used almost every day since I bought it – I am obsessed. It’s a rose gold metallic shade that applies beautifully and looks stunning. It cuts my eye makeup time almost in half, which is amazing when I need to get to those 8:30 am lectures.

I have heard good reviews of other products in the Zoella x Colourpop collection and am considering trying some of the lip and highlighter products in the future. If I do, I’ll provide another honest review.

Samantha McGregor

Laurier Brantford '21

Hi! I’m Samantha and I am a fourth-year Digital Media and Journalism student, minoring in leadership. I am the 2020/2021 Editor-in-Chief and co-president for the Laurier Brantford Chapter.
.