This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

If you have not listened to Niall Horan’s new album, this is the sign that you should. If you are like me, you enjoyed his first album but find that this one is so much better! It is the album that you scream while you are in your car, the one that you can dance to every song that is playing. 

Let’s start off with the song of the same name, “Heartbreak Weather”: the music is a little jazzy and something that you can dance to 24/7. Niall is expressing how being with his love interest makes him want to stop time and just stay where they are. He has dealt with a lot of heartbreak and he just wants to be happy with the one he loves. Once someone has dealt with a lot of heartbreak and finally meets the one that stops their heart from breaking, they can really appreciate that it is such a nice feeling.

“Black and White” is something else, and it is one of my favourites; I have decided that it will be played during my wedding! Niall expresses that all he has ever seen his world in is black and white, though in the starry night, everything is in colour. I can relate to this song so much because even if it is really cheesy, being with your person makes everything in life just so different and it is as if you experience life, colours and experiences so differently. “I promise that I’ll love you for the rest of my life” is so true when you have found your person and you never want to let them go.  

“Dear Patience”: this is for the people who fall in love too fast and they can never stop themselves from it. Falling fast for someone can leave a lot of hurt on the one who doesn’t get caught by the person they are falling for. No one likes getting their heart broken, especially by the one that they love. It is the nerves that get a lot of people too, when there is so much pressure on your chest from holding in all your feelings that you are too scared to face.

“Bend the Rules” is a slower song, but the words are so pure. Total tear jerker if you ask me. This song is about how you can miss someone so much that you just want them to get out of the relationship that they are in so you can be with them again. Throughout the first bit of the song, Niall’s lyrics seem to say to his love “name your favourite places, but make sure you say that one of your favourite places is around me.” Perhaps lying will protect others from hurting when they are in love with you but you are not in love with them.

“Small Talk” is one of the songs that would be played in a club or something, although I would never find out as that is not really my scene, but it is just one of those songs. “Small Talk” is just a good tune in general and if someone says they don’t like it, they are lying to themselves. This is the song you can scream the lyrics to while driving down the road. 

“Nice to Meet Ya” and “No Judgement” are tunes as well, and they’re singles from the album. Sometimes I agree with what are and are not singles and this is where I would disagree. They are fantastic songs you can sing and dance to, but there are songs that would have been better singles, if you get what I mean. “Nice to Meet Ya” is about when you meet someone and that is when it hits you: you want them, you like them, a lot. You will treat them well and you are just so attracted to them. 

“Put a Little Love on Me” – this is a tear jerker, too. Like, who hurt you so badly? Why are you singing such a sad song? This is the song for the people who still have so much love in them and they have no one to give it to nor do they have anywhere to go. They are by themselves and are just stuck at home on the weekends. 

“Arms of a Stranger” is another one of my favourite songs. This is about when the one you love breaks your heart and you find comfort in a stranger’s arms, when you try to get over someone and you just cannot, no matter what you do. I feel like so many people can relate to this song as well.

“Everywhere” is another favourite of mine. “Everywhere” could mean a lot of things, honestly; it could be a song that expresses how one feels when you meet the one, and everywhere you look they are there. Or, it could be about when you break up and the one you love is everywhere you look even though it could just be your imagination. “Everywhere” is just a tune and it is something that could put you in a good mood when you listen to it. 

“Cross Your Mind” may be another favourite of mine. (You’re allowed to have lots of favourites.) This is a song that explains how you could get your heart broken by the love of your life and it doesn’t even cross their mind that they’re doing it. They’re just doing their thing and it may end up with you getting hurt. You will love them no matter what even if your heart gets broken.

“New Angel” is about when you need someone out of your head because all you think about is them. You want someone else to think about, someone else’s touch, their thoughts and their presence around you.

“San Francisco” is about when you mess up and you just want to change the past and fix the mistakes that you made. Absolutely amazing song if you ask me. 

Last but not least is “Still”. “Still” is about when you love someone but you messed up so badly, and all you want is to be with them again. “Still” is such a beautiful song; the medley, the words in general are just beautiful.

Fingers crossed that the Toronto show will still happen with the pandemic happening, and if you are going, let me know and we will have to meet up!

Morgan Capinding

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Needs coffee to function, but loves concerts and to travel
.