freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Autumn Date Ideas to FALL For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

“Hey, what should we do tonight?”

“I dunno. Wanna catch that new movie playing at the Galaxy?”

“Sure, I’ll pick you up at eight.”

“Sounds good.”

What? No. Hold up. It’s almost October – subjectively the most GOURDgeous time of the year. Save the theatre for muddy April or monotonous November. Spice up your pumpkin latte and make the most of cuffing season with your special someone!

1. Haunted House

This experience will bring the two of you closer – it’s a scientific fact. According to research published in 2014 in Psychological Science, fear has positive social consequences. People experiencing the same, frightening situations rely on each other for emotional support, which ultimately fosters cohesion and solidarity.

2. Corn Maze

Let your love get corny as you try to find your way through the tall stalks. Not only is it fun, but it’s also a great teambuilding exercise. Brantwood Farms and Hanes Corn Maze are aMAZEing, local places to consider going to.

3. Pumpkin Patch

It’s cliché, but face it: You’re going to buy a pumpkin at some point this fall, so you might as well make a cute date out of it.

Then, once you’ve chosen your pumpkins…

4. Carve Jack-O-Lanterns

Face each other in a carving contest, or create a design together. Remember to keep the pumpkin seeds to bake and enjoy together later!

5. Go On a Hike

Girl, the leaves are unbeLEAFable! Treat (or should I say TREEt) yourselves to a romantic stroll through the colourful forest. Check out the numerous community trails beside the Grand River, which happens to flow right beside campus! If you want to get out of the area, Dundas Peak is beautiful and just a short drive from Brantford.

6. Make a Fort . . . Then Watch a Movie in It!

There’s nothing better than snuggling up with some blankets when it’s dark and cold on the other side of the windows. Building a fort adds lots of opportunity for bonding, amusement and tons of extra coziness.  

7. Camping

It might be a wee bit chilly, but what’s autumn without pretty trees, crackling fires and big sweaters? With camping you can pack it in all at once! Grab your tent and cuddle up with your SO by the warm fire. Don’t forget hot drinks and marshmallows!  

8. Make or Bake a Bunch of Apples

Turn on some tunes and whip up a few yummy dishes with your loved one. The recipe options are endless. Candy apples, apple pie, apple drinks and ciders, apple crisp, apple crumble, etc. Those are just the core possibilities. After this bonding experience, the two of you will definitely be living apple-y ever after.

9. Create or Shop for Halloween Costumes

It’s always humorous to see what kinds of outfits you can come up with using materials you find around the house. You could also go on a little adventure together to the local party store to seek out costumes. Bonus points if you can come up with a couple’s costume. Party City and Value Village always have options, but Halloween Alley on King George Road might be the place to go!

10. Football Game

Football is everywhere in the fall. If you want an entertaining game to go to with your SO, think Canadian Football League (CFL). The Hamilton Tiger-Cats play just half-an-hour away from campus at Tim Horton’s Field. The best part? Tickets can be purchased for as cheap as $16!

October is so full of colourful trees, Halloween festivities and cold weather cuddles that there’s always something new and exciting to do. Autumn is only here for so long, so jump in that leaf pile before winter rakes it up. Most importantly, don’t forget to bring your SO! These dates will make the two of you “fall” even more in love with each other. Okay, I’m done with the puns now.

Jessa Braun

Laurier Brantford '19

Jessa Braun is a Community Health student and the President/Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Laurier Brantford. Living and breathing sports, she represents her school in both cross-country and soccer and is sports editor for The Sputnik newspaper. She is also President and founder of She Scores (www.shescores.ca), a nonprofit that aims to raise gender equity in sport. In her (basically non-existent) spare time, Jessa reads Harry Potter and explores forests.