Style

ALT: A Look Into the New Boutique on the Block

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

A few weeks ago, a new sign appeared on downtown Brantford’s bustling Dalhousie Street. The usual crowd made their way to work and class, but this time they were looking up. Above a new store in trendy letters was “ALT.” Seeing this new store nestled into the landscape of campus fixtures, office buildings, parks and restaurants brought one word to my mind: finally. It wasn’t too long before news of the store spread onto the radar of the Laurier student population.

Photo by Jonnica Hill

A friend featured a shopping bag with “ALT” printed on it on her Instagram story, saying how she loved the store. Another friend visited the store and immediately urged me to check it out too. I had been looking for a perfect fall sweater to keep me warm but fashionable so, I made my way over one afternoon and am I ever glad I did.  The trendy, modern space was inviting and after looking at only a handful of products I knew that I had stumbled across something special. I left with a beautiful new sweater that I receive countless compliments on wherever I go.

ALT BOUTIQUE Brantford opened its doors October 16th, 2018.  The owner, Justin Lowe, has seen an overwhelmingly positive response to the opening of his trendy high-fashion streetwear boutique. Comments such as, “wow, this is nicer than a Toronto boutique,” “finally, we needed a place to shop downtown,” and of course, “you’ll be seeing me on a regular basis” coming from students has reaffirmed Lowe’s faith in his venture.

“WLU and Conestoga students are fashionable, welcoming, and are worth betting on,” Lowe commented.  

Fashion came into Lowe’s life as a way to constructively channel his creative side as an artistic teen, living in Brantford with his single mother.

“I was shown that if I wanted something, like a pair of jeans, that weren’t in the budget, that I should work for it,” he said.

He believes this instilled an irreplaceable work ethic in him that helped him work his way up the ladder of some of Canada’s largest retailers.

It was while working as a server at The Works on Dalhousie that Lowe had the eye-opening insight into what downtown Brantford has to offer. He saw the positive effect that festivals and concerts at the Sanderson Centre and Harmony Square had on the community. As well as the great strides that were being made to bring life back into the Downtown core by the city.

It was the students that Lowe felt had the greatest impact. Yet, no businesses were focused on providing amenities to the 3,000 + Students. This is where Lowe decided to step in.

“With my love of fashion, and my experience in retail, I decided to take a chance all while making my dream of being a boutique owner come to life, bringing trendy and quality fashion options to the Dalhousie Street neighbourhood,” Lowe said.

ALT prides itself on offering quality fabrics, trendy styles, and Canadian brands. From wardrobe basics, to statement pieces, for both ladies and men, ALT boutique really does seem to have it all. Notable brands include Buffalo David Bitton, C’est Moi, Kuwalla Tree, Pink Martini, Nella Bella and Bathtub Bakery. Handmade jewelry in Montréal by Emery & Opal inspires fashion and joy in its wearers without breaking the bank. It also makes for excellent gifts for loved ones (I’m looking at you, holiday shoppers).  

When asked about his favourite piece currently available at ALT, Lowe selected an Army Green Bomber Jacket by Promesa (see photo below).

Image by Stephanie Montani; Clothing & styling: ALT Boutique. 

“It has gorgeous grommet and lace detailing along the arms, and a cropped style, which layers beautifully with your favourite hoodie,” said Lowe.

When asked about the future of ALT Lowe remarked that “the sky is the limit.” After “rocking” this holiday season, Lowe has exciting plans for 2019 including an e-commerce online shopping website, and an ALT-branded clothing line launch for Fall 2019! Additionally, ALT will be looking to get involved with the community and provide an outlet for students to indulge in some retail therapy. Happy shopping!

Make sure to follow Alt Boutique on Facebook and Instagram (@altboutiquebrantford) to stay up to date with the newest pieces!

Photos by Jonnica Hill

Kellie Burdon

Laurier Brantford '20

WLU alumna '20 ~ It's great to be a Laurier Golden Hawk! ~