This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

I don’t know about you, but whenever I look at my calendar for the remainder of the semester, I have to laugh to avoid tears. In November everything gets turned up 12 notches and you suddenly find yourself on expert mode just trying to barely stay afloat. With midterm season coming to an end, it’s time to catch our breath and focus on what lies ahead: finals. Take this time to fix your habits and get into combat mode so you can bask in the freedom of winter break without any academic regrets. Here are some of my favourite tips and tricks you can implement into your study routine!

1. Use a system to keep track of dates and deadlines

You may have heard of this tip time and time again, but honestly I would be lost without my planner. However, a planner isn’t the only way to go. The calendar app on your phone or laptop is a big help. If you have Apple products, your different devices will sync your calendar through the Cloud, and if you have Android products you can download Google Calendar to your devices and they will sync through your Google account! Another great idea is using a bulletin board to display the schedule parts of your syllabus for each class. Personally, I keep a planner with a month view and a week view. I can put my assignments into the month view to anticipate their due dates, and I use the week view to put my readings and the topics being discussed for each class. Find a way that works for you, because everyone’s brain works differently.

2. Take notes for you

I keep a notebook of rough notes that I take to every class and then I type out the good copy where I make them pretty and informative. If you know the slides will be available online then you don’t have to focus on copying down what the slides say but instead focus on what your professor and your classmates are saying. Your in-class notes don’t have to be spelled correctly and have 4 different colour schemes going on; they can be as ugly as you want because they are YOUR notes. Make a system for words you need to define later, use abbreviations, jot down recommended movies to return to, but make them pretty later and focus on getting the key information while you’re in class. Also, by going back to your notes to make them more organized and aesthetically pleasing the repetition of rewriting them will help the ideas stick.

3. Read smarter, not harder

Prioritize your readings according to time and length. Skim readings that you just need central ideas from, and fine comb readings that you’ll use for multiple assignments. Understand that you’re probably not going to complete every reading, which is totally okay, but if you’re missing a reading you should definitely go to class, and vice-versa. Only highlight sentences that can stand on their own as direct quotes for proving a point or making a summary. Tip for any English majors out there or anyone taking an English class: use an audiobook to help with your readings!

4. Organize your time and stick to it

Planning out your time is so important, especially around exam time. The way I like to look at it is you have 24 hours in a day and seven days in the week, certain times are blocked off for eating, sleeping, class, and downtime, while the rest can be dedicated to different tasks for different classes. This is where your understanding of yourself and your current habits really come into play. Consider the times of day where you’re the most productive or motivated versus times where you couldn’t even be bothered to move. Recognize how long it really takes you to complete certain tasks, and plan accordingly. Make sure that you don’t forget to plan your breaks! The most important step when it comes to time management is sticking to your plan. Reward yourself frequently for staying on task, but remember the best reward will be when you’re successful at the end of the semester!

5. Clear your space

Clean your room frequently, even if you do most of your studying on campus. Your space around you mirrors what’s going on in your brain, and having a clean clear space helps you to clear your mind and concentrate better. I can’t study if my room is messy, so if I know it needs to get cleaned it’s the first thing I do when I get home…unless I have a nap. Another mind-clearing side note, if you listen to music while you do homework opt for instrumental only, particularly classical. Music without lyrics helps you to focus better and elevates your mood.

6. Consult your classmates

Other students can be the best resource available to you in university. Have discussions about course content, assignments and ideas. Make a study group that meets up once a week to work on understanding the course material better. By having to articulate the ideas into conversations you not only force your brain to make connections but you get to understand the other connections your peers have made that you may not have thought of!

7. Have fun and enjoy yourself

Sure, some required classes aren’t the most fun (looking at you, Brantford Foundations) but you likely chose your program because it’s what you’re passionate about! Have fun with the ideas you’re learning about and discovering, and do your own research into concepts or theories. Have fun with learning, even if the class is a bit dry. The biggest thing you realize in university, usually in first year, is that you teach yourself at least 50% of the time. So have fun with what you’re learning.

The best part about finals is that they come and then they go. This time won’t last forever, which is really great news for everyone who feels like they’re actually screwed. Keep these tips in mind, get your beauty sleep, stay hydrated, and just do your best. You can do this!

Bryanna Millben

Laurier Brantford '20

Hi! I'm a fourth-year at Wilfrid Laurier University working towards a BA in English with a minor in History, and the Campus Correspondent/President for HC Laurier Brantford. I have a super sweet golden retriever named Marley, and aspire to work in Public Relations.