This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

Who doesn’t love saving money? I know I do, and one of my favourite ways to do so is by thrifting! It’s a great way to lower your economic footprint as well as save some cash. Here are my top 5 thrifting tips to have a good trip, as well as a list of good thrift stores in the Brantford area!

Have Intent 

Whether it’s at the thrift store or the mall, I always think it’s important to know what you’re shopping for. Now you don’t have to know exactly what you’re looking for, but having a general idea and a Pinterest board for some inspiration goes a long way. I find that by thrifting with intent, I don’t come home with pieces that end up sitting in my closet that someone else could have enjoyed. A great way to make sure you’re thrifting with intent is to have key pieces in mind that you’ve had on your wish list and to look for staples that you know will get worn or upcycled. This doesn’t mean you can’t reach outside your comfort zone, it just means you have to be confident in doing so. You’ve got this! 

Look Through Both the Men’s and Women’s sections 

Some of my best thrift finds have been from the men’s section and if you’re into the oversized look this tip is definitely for you. Don’t be afraid to look through the men’s t-shirts for some cool graphic tees, the jackets for a funky way to spice up your outfits, or the men’s jeans for the boyfriend jean look. There’s nothing wrong with shopping in the women’s section either! Go find those chunky knit sweaters and y2k vibe turtle necks. I highly recommend making sure you set aside enough time to look through everything, you never know what hidden gems could be hidden in the racks.

Look Over Everything Closely 

There’s nothing worse than finding something amazing at the thrift store just to realize it’s damaged in some way, shape, or form. However, you don’t want to realize this when you get home when it’s too late. Make sure you look over everything with a close eye, double and triple-check if you have to. Make sure you check the insides of pockets for holes if the stitching is loose/coming out, seams for holes, and little spots that might be hard to spot right away. This should save you from wasting money on something you’ll just end up re-donating.

Don’t Be Afraid to Look Through Other Areas of the Store

How many of you just go thrifting for clothes? I used to be guilty of this too. There’s so much more to thrift stores. I’ve found some of my favourite mugs, seasonal decorations, purses, shoes, jewelry, and records at the thrift store. Even just doing a quick sweep of these sections is perfect, you never know when you’ll find hidden treasures. 

Don’t Buy Something Unless You Have a Vision 

Following up with shopping with intent, it’s important to have a vision. If you can’t try something on due to COVID restrictions, try and find a mirror around the shop and hold the clothes up to you. I also love creating Pinterest boards with outfit inspiration, this way when I find pieces I can see if they fit in with my outfit vision board, and therefore ensuring I am not purchasing something that doesn’t fit what I originally envisioned.

Good Thrift Stores in Brantford 

Value Village – Good for everything!

Mission Thrift – Good for housewares, books, vintage items 

Salvation Army – Good for housewares, DVDs, shoes, and men’s clothes 

Plato’s Closet – A great place to find brand name items for less 

Re-source Thrift Store

The Clothing Line

Closet Couture 

I hope these tips help you on your next treasure hunt!

.