19 Songs to Get You Through the Rest of Exam Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

Exam season is always, without a doubt, an absolute dumpster fire. Everyone’s miserable and overworked, they’re stressing about having enough time to buy gifts for all their family, and no one has seen the Sun in weeks. Hopefully this two-part playlist will be enough to get your butt at a desk and keep you there.

Pump-up motivational songs:

1. TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME — The 1975

A sound about cheating has never felt so good. This synth-pop bop from UK band The 1975 should definitely get you moving, though might make you dance before it gets you studying. The 1975, their first album, is an indie rock staple for when you want to ruminate about all your failed relationships and partake in self-loathing. Since then the band has moved toward a more upbeat, 80s inspired sound. The full album, A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships, comes out November 30th.

2. Watch Me — Jaden Smith

The son of Jada Pinkett-Smith and the Fresh Prince is proving he’s somebody to watch, if his Twitter feed hasn’t already. This audacious, self-aggrandizing track is rap set to rock, oozing aggression and power. If you haven’t heard his latest mixtape, The Sunset Tapes: A Cool Tape Story, I highly recommend it — it’s dreamy, it’s introspective, it mixes moods and styles… It really is a cool tape story.

3. And The Day Goes On — Bill Wurtz

If you watch any of these videos, make it this one. You might recognize Bill Wurtz from such masterpieces as the Vine “oh hi, thanks for checking in i’m ~still a piece of garbage~” or maybe his Youtube video “history of the entire world, i guess.” Turns out he makes music now too! This optimistic, corny, unbelievable cute song never fails to make me smile. Remember that even if an exam goes bad or your final paper flopped, the day goes on.

4. Me and My Friends — James Vincent McMorrow

James Vincent McMorrow was one of those sad acoustic Brits I used to bump in my room in grade nine when I wanted a good cry, but upon revisiting his Spotify page during a recent breakdown I found this. Reminiscent of a young, more folksy Chance the Rapper, this track is about peaking in elementary and now only having your friends to rely on (#bigmood). I swear it’s not as depressing as it sounds.

5. Rich Lives Matter — Kayo Genesis

Currently on tour with Amine, of “Caroline” fame, Kayo Genesis is a serious up-and-comer. His album Sashimi is a banger from start to finish, not to mention the stunning visuals to be found both in his music videos and on his Instagram. If money motivates you (and let’s be honest, who couldn’t use a couple hundred more dollars), this track will too.

6. Beautiful — Betty Who feat. Superfruit

Pentatonix’s Mitch Grassi and Scott Hoying lend their vocals to Aussie pop-powerhouse Betty Who on this self-love girl power anthem. This bop is equally as effective for pumping yourself up as it is gassing yourself up. Let this be your reminder to take care of yourself this exam season — you are beautiful and you deserve to shower, to sleep, and to eat.

7. Something Good Can Work — Two Door Cinema Club

Two Door Cinema Club might be a throwback for some of you big indie kids. Released in 2010, this song epitomizes determination and positivity. Against the backdrop of a groovy bassline and twinkling guitar, the lyrics speak for themselves: “it’s only going up!”

Low-key tunes to keep you focused:

8. Moon River — Frank Ocean

Originally by jazz singer Andy Williams and popularized by Audrey Hepburn in the movie Breakfast at Tiffany’s, this calm and melancholic cover will curate a soothing atmosphere no matter where you choose to study — even if you’re stuck in the Students’ Union and nobody will shut up about how wasted they got at 12 Barz.

9. Enjoy Right Now, Today — Tyler, The Creator

Flower Boy is a departure from the previous LPs of Tyler, The Creator, exploring a softer and more thoughtful side. This plush, percussive interlude takes clear inspiration from Motown. As the album cover suggests, this song will take you to a field of sunflowers where absurdly large, fluffy bees fly through a tangerine sky.

10. Waves [Remix] — Miguel feat. Kacey Musgraves

Smooth R&B singer Miguel collabed with country princess Kacey Musgraves to create this perfectly lo-fi beats for studying track. Even if country isn’t your cup of tea, it’s hard not to feel relaxed listening to the lulling melody of Miguel and Musgraves in perfect eighth harmony.

11. Sad! — Kid Travis

Regardless of how you feel about recently deceased rapper XXXTENTACION, Youtuber Kid Travis’ ataractic cover, with a mid-song nod to Lil Uzi’s XO TOUR LIFE, is undoubtedly more agreeable. The monotonous song structure is ideal for a mindless backtrack to keep you in a zen state of mind.

12. Sweet Thang — Shuggie Otis

This hazy, seemingly drug-induced song, pulled from the early 70s, is quintessential Soul. The minimal lyrics take nothing away from the track and its resounding, body-enveloping vocals. Pro-tip: it’s equally enjoyable listening to in the library as it is listening to on shrooms.

13. Trouble on Central — Buddy

Compton rapper Buddy takes a retrospective look at life in his hometown before fame. Deeply funky basslines and flowing melodies make this track more R&B than rap at all. Buddy aches over all the things he yearns for life — “a girl by my side,” “a brand new ride,” “wish I had a life” but instead he’s stuck on Central. For the love of God get your degree and do something — don’t get stuck.

14. Tyrone — My Morning Jacket

American rock band My Morning Jacket’s wistful and psychedelic take on Erykah Badu’s 1997 “Tyrone” has a distant, live-studio sound, putting you right in the middle of the ambience. Being one of the more rock-inspired tracks on this playlist I definitely recommend putting the volume down and letting yourself live in the coffee-house setting.

15. Young Blood — Graeme James

Can you tell I like to study to covers? An acoustic, loop-pedal take on Naked and Famous’ electronic original, this folksy version paints a picture of rosy nostalgia, days spent running through fields and camping beside bonfires and under stars….Is it summer yet?

16. You Never Knew — HAIM

This sister band proves why they’re known as a trio of glossy, more polished Stevie Nicks’, constructing spacious and nostalgic instrumentations. The entire album Something to Tell You was consciously produced to feel old. It’s an instant classic — easy to listen to but hardly boring, fusing Motown, R&B, soft, pop, and indie rock into one distinguished sound. I would have put every single song on this playlist but that would’ve been too easy.

17. Someone That Loves You — HONNE & Izzy Bizu

One of the more buoyant songs in the second half of this playlist, this bright and chipper indie-pop bop is a pick-me-up you can still study to. The lyrics illustrate a familiar story: the struggles of existence, the complications of living, but having loved ones around you to keep you afloat. Remember this exam season that somebody loves you and wants you to take care of yourself!

18. Brown Eyed Girl — Imaginary Future

Van Morrison’s cheerful 1967 hit gets slowed down and mellowed out. Youtube musician Imaginary Future turns this happy love song into a sentimental serenade evocative of love long lost. Familiar enough to recognize but different enough to not feel like an Adults Hits radio station is on repeat, you’ll drift away in this acoustic beauty.

19. My Favourite Things — Leslie Odom, Jr.

We’ve reached the end! Winter break is near! Hamilton’s Aaron Burr covers this The Sound of Music classic is perfect for snowy days, cuddled up by the fire…but until you’re finished writing that cheat-sheet, this track will have to do. Infused with classical piano parts and jazzy percussion, this song will remind you of the sweet, sweet reward awaiting at the end of exams.

Aside from actually writing your exams for you, this is as far as I can help you. Please remember to eat, sleep, shower, stay hydrated, and do your best this exam season. There’s no changing the past, only embracing the future, so don’t fret how much better you could have done once that final essay question is handed in. And make sure to enjoy the winter break once all is said and done — you deserve it.

Emma Dennis

Laurier Brantford '21

A queer, feminist transfer-student majoring in History and Human Rights.