This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

If you’re like me, you probably spend a lot of time scrolling through Netflix, not able to choose something to watch. Or, you end up choosing something random and getting bored of it, so you play with your phone the whole time instead. I found ten shows on Netflix that kept me hooked the whole time, and I would watch them all over again if I had the time. Here are ten binge-worthy shows on Netflix that you should check out ASAP!

The Good Place

This is a series that I absolutely could not stop watching. The Good Place is a small town where the people who have been “good” during their lives on Earth get to go once they die. After arriving at the Good Place, Eleanor realizes that she has been mistaken to be someone else. She works together with her new friends to earn herself a spot in the Good Place. It’s a great show for people who enjoy both comedy and drama (not too much drama though).

Grey’s Anatomy

I absolutely love Grey’s Anatomy and it’s not just because I’m starting to become a health science nerd. I absolutely live for all the drama in this show and it’s so easy to become so invested in it. The show is a medical-based drama that focuses on the aspiring surgeon, Dr. Meredith Grey, who is also the daughter of one of the best surgeons in Washington. There are a lot of dynamic characters which makes this show especially interesting to watch.

Jane The Virgin

Jane the Virgin is a really funny show but it also has a detailed story line/plot that I appreciate. It’s about a Catholic woman named Jane who was accidentally artificially inseminated. This show has so many plot twists and will always keep you on your toes.

Good Girls

Have you ever wondered what would happen if a trio of suburban moms tried to pull off a robbery in a supermarket? If so, this is a show for you. Even if you have never once thought about that in your life, you will now. This show is super funny and easy to get attached to. It’s a relatively new show so you can expect more seasons to come as well.

The Fosters

If you want a show that has a bit of everything (comedy, drama, romance, and heartbreak) then I fully recommend this show. This show is about a lesbian couple whose family consists of biological, adopted and foster children. This show breaks a lot of barriers and stereotypes and is an absolutely amazing show to get into. The series ended in 2018, however there is a spin off of it featuring many of the same characters, called Good Trouble.

Bates Motel

Bates Motel is based off of the movie Psycho, where Norman Bates and his psychotic tendencies are unleashed. As the show goes on, Norman’s relationship with his mother helps to explain the behaviour he has. If you have any interest in psychology, I would definitely recommend this show.

Z Nation

Did you try watching The Walking Dead but couldn’t find yourself getting into it for whatever reason? Well, this series could potentially be a good alternative to get your zombie fix, especially if you’re into comedy. Three years following a zombie virus that killed practically the entire country, a team of heroes needs to transport the only known survivor of the plague to California, where the final remaining lab is waiting for his blood.

The Society

The Society is very different from your typical high schooler series. A group of teens needs to figure out how to create their own society after the rest of their town disappears after they return early from a canceled field trip. I love how the show incorporates humour, drama and mystery throughout the plot. I managed to watch the entire first season in one sitting because this show is that good.

Unbelieveable

This is a true crime story based on the 2008-2011 serial rape cases in Washington and Colorado. Unbelieveable follows a teenager who was charged with false rape allegations. Two detectives are determined to follow the twisted path to find the true answer. There are many scenes that are difficult to watch and a lot of content that is not easy to hear. If you are able to handle the topic of rape, this is a very interesting and heavy show to watch, but I recommend it.

End of the F***king World

This show follows a boy who is a self-proclaimed psychopath and his journey with his rebellious classmate who sees an opportunity for them to both run away from life’s problems. The show has a lot of dark content that usually gets masked by humour. It’s a very unique show and I can’t say I’ve seen anything else like it. If you need something new to watch that is different from your typical Netflix series, you should give this one a shot – you won’t be disappointed.

These are just some of the amazing shows I have come to love on Netflix, but there are always new releases that surprise me with how good they are. Let me know on instagram (@rachelcleland) if you have any other show recommendations that you binge watch – I’m always down for something new!

Rachel Cleland

Laurier Brantford '23

I'm a first year student in the Social Work program at Laurier Brantford. I'm doing a double minor in Community Health and Indigenous Studies. On my free time I love reading, listening to music, and going to way too many concerts!
.