nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Zara’s Unpaid Workers Fight Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Every day, it seems like Zara is under fire for something new. Whether it be exploitation, overlooking labor conditions or knowingly damaging the environment, there’s always something. For such a large corporation with almost 2,200 stores worldwide, this is unacceptable and yet no one is surprised.

This time, customers in Zara shops in Istanbul are reportedly finding notes from workers of Zara manufacturers. These Turkish workers from Bravo Textil, an outsourced company that manufactures for Zara amongst other companies, are acting in revolt to a cruel move played on them. It is said that the company closed overnight owing them at least three months’ pay in addition to severance and other wages. In response, these former employees took to the garments by visiting Zara shops and displaying personal notes in the pockets. The notes read, “I made this item you are going to buy, but I didn’t get paid for it” with a link to their campaign at the bottom. With this, they urged customers to support their campaign and help them get their deserved pay.

A spokesperson for the Zara parent company, Inditex, has stated Inditex, “[is] currently working on a proposal with the local Industrial affiliate… to establish a hardship fund for the workers affected by the fraudulent disappearance of the Bravo factory’s owner.” This would create a fund to cover all the owed wages to the workers that were actively employed by Bravo Textil at the time of abrupt closure. If this notion does follow through, these workers will greatly benefit from a help of this nature.

Perhaps the end of a bad era for Zara is near, but until then, cleaning up their act and acting to reinstate these workers is their best bet.