Yalitza Marrero

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Yalitza Marrero has got it together. She is one of our campus’ unsung heroes. As a senior on campus, she has experienced everything Lasell has to offer. Her Fashion Communications major combines her love of clothing and passion for literature. As R.A of Ordway house, she has taken her love for Lasell beyond, by showing her residents the ropes year after year. Her house gives off a welcoming, friendly vibe, that is enforced with holiday decorations and clever bulletin boards. 

Her love for learning brought her to the Brennan Library, which is one of her many jobs. One of her favorite jobs to be exact. Books  aren’t just a job for her, it’s a lifestyle, her way of becoming more educated on the world around her. Favorite genre? Biographies. They open up her eyes to see people who live/d differently.

She recently participated in a service trip this past January. The Shoulder-To-Shoulder program in Ecuador changed her life. Though she had travelled before, she had never travelled like this. Her biggest joy was working with the kids of a school high up in the Andes. One child in particular, named Dario, stole her heart. In addition to teaching the children English and environmental science lessons, she took the time to learn from them about their own culture, from food to indigenous language to whatever the community members were willing to teach her.

Yalitza’s work for a better world doesn’t stop below the equator. She also put on a fundraiser called “Kiss Away Cancer” this past week. Participants paid one dollar to pucker up to help fight the battle for those living with cancer. 

Her dream is to one day return to school to follow her passion of archaeology, but until that day comes along, she’ll be working towards being part of Diane Von Furstenburg’s creative team. 

It is because of Lasers like Yalitza, that things get done at Lasell. She is one of those people who works behind the scenes to make important things happen and is rarely recognized for all they do. She doesn’t do it for the credit, she does what she does because she has a passion for it. Whether that is service, literature or just spreading the love.

We salute Yalitza for making a positive mark on this community and challenge others to do the same.

All photos provided by Celebrity

Haleigh West is an Honor's Student majoring in Fashion Design with a double minor in Environmental Studies and Studio Art. Her articles are centered around sexual awareness and relationship advice, with the occasional piece focusing on social justice from a feminist perspective. Outside of HerCampus, she runs Lasell's chapter of Active Minds, an organization dedicated to ending the stigma of mental illness on campus, and is an avid hiker who never stops exploring.As a self proclaimed "equalist" she is determined to live in a world where all are created equal. Free of sexism, free of racism, free of all stigma. A truly free world.