The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Women’s History Month holds a lot of meaning for me. In addition to March being my birth month, I see this month as a time to reflect and think about the accomplishments of women throughout time. I think about the women who inspire me and make an effort to learn about women currently making history. When it was time to pitch article ideas for Women’s History Month, I knew immediately what I wanted to write about. As a future educator, I look up to countless female educators, both past and present. Here are just some of those women in education that inspire me.

Malala Yousafzai

Malala has long been an inspiration of mine. I remember when her fight for girl’s education in Pakistan first became global news. From then on, I was enraptured by her story and dedication to education. I read her autobiography, I Am Malala, in eighth grade and my appreciation for Malala only grew. Malala has continued to advocate for girls everywhere and their right to an education. Her story is incredible and serves as a reminder of why access to education is so important.

Mary McLeod Bethune

Mary McLeod Bethune fought for women’s rights and education for Black Americans. Mary became an educator and later opened a boarding school for Black girls in America. This boarding school then merged with another school to form Bethune-Cookman College, which is now accredited as a university. In addition to her fight for education, Mary was also heavily involved in voting rights. She became involved in organizations like the National Association of Colored Women’s Clubs, of which she was president. The legacy of Mary’s work in education, voting rights, and women’s rights cannot be denied. She worked endlessly to build a better and brighter future for herself and others.

Maya Angelou

In my opinion, Maya Angelou is one of the most influential American writers and activists to have ever lived. Her book, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, is a well-recognized and renowned piece of literature. In addition to being a prolific writer and activist, Maya was also a professor at Wake Forest University for over 32 years. She was described as a caring and generous person during her time there. I remember when I first read her poem, “Phenomenal Woman,” my senior year of high school. I loved the radiant message of self-love and self-worth, and it has stayed with me to this day. Her words and teachings have stuck with thousands and will only continue to do so. 

Every teacher who has helped me in my education journey

I of course could not write this article without taking the time to honor every woman teacher I’ve had throughout my education journey. They were some of my biggest inspirations and influences when I made my decision to pursue teaching as a career. Not only did they provide me with an incredible education, but they always believed in and supported me. I owe so much to the women educators in my life, so I am taking the time now to thank them for everything they’ve done for me and others.

Olivia Post

Lasell '26

Olivia Post is the President of the Her Campus at Lasell chapter. She oversees all matters relating to the chapter, from editorial content to on-campus events. Beyond Her Campus, Olivia is a student ambassador for the Blue Key Society at Lasell. She is currently a sophomore at Lasell University, studying Secondary Education and English with a minor in Spanish. In her free time, Olivia enjoys reading, playing video games, and spending time with her roommates. She can also be found working on her latest crochet project, or watching RuPaul's Drag Race.