Caroline Vazzana
Caroline Vazzana
INSPR
Style > Fashion

Why You Shouldn’t Wait Until Spring to Wear Bright Colors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

As I have grown I have started to develop my own personal sense of style. I am still absolutely influenced by trends, but I do not just follow them blindly. As my personal style has developed, I have discovered that wearing brighter colors generally makes me happier. Our mood is often subconsciously affected by the way we dress. If I were to wear a pair of gray sweatpants and a sweatshirt, I may feel less motivated or productive because I am in an outfit that is made more for comfort and relaxation. For me, this is the same with color. Something bolder and brighter makes me more noticeable. I feel almost forced to be active and actually do things because I am wearing something that is meant to be seen. 

My favorite color does happen to be red, but even beyond that I just prefer to wear bright colors like a bright red, blue, or green because it truly does make me happier. Even if I am wearing a more neutral outfit I always try to include a pop of color. This causes people to maybe look twice and take notice of what I am wearing. I don’t want to blend in and it is harder to do that while wearing colors like this.

In an article titled “Dress for Your Best Life” by Dawnn Karen, she says, “Whatever the season, wear your favorite colors, patterns, prints, and styles, even if that means wearing white in winter and black in summer”. When I think of each season I have certain colors that I associate with them, and ones that I believe people tend to wear the most. Darker colors have become the norm for fall, neutrals and darks for winter, pastel in the spring, and bright pops of color in the summer. Why is it that this is what we stick to year after year? I know I have fallen into this pattern of wearing and sticking to what is expected in the past, but now that I have seen the change in my mood when I am wearing brighter colors I choose to do that all year round. 

This winter wear bright colors, wear clothes that genuinely make YOU happy! 

Julia McNicol is a junior at Lasell University studying Fashion Media and Marketing with a minor in Journalism. She loves exploring the city, shopping, and watching a good rom-com! Her Instagram can be found at @juliamcnicol as well as @juliashannonxoxo for fashion-specific content.