Why You Should Impulsively Go To Concerts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Last semester, like most college students I was procrastinating on a homework assignment when I noticed an ad for a local radio station giving away concert tickets. I didn’t think I’d have a chance, but what the heck?

A week or so passed and I had forgotten about the contest, but I then received an email saying that I won two tickets to the LANY concert at the House of Blues Boston the next day.  At first I was bummed about how short of a notice it was and I had a million things running through my head.  How was I even going to find anyone to go with? What about all my homework that needed to get done? Luckily everything worked out in my favor and I’m glad it did.  That concert was one of the best experiences of my life and part of the reason was because I went on a whim.

So now I’m here to tell you that you should impulsively go to concerts. Whether you win the tickets, find them the day of, or just stumble upon some live music while you’re out and about, do it at least once in your lifetime. First of all, there’s a thrill of doing something just by the seat of your pants. Also, you have no time to think or worry about anything. Personally, when I know I’m going to a concert I think about everything, from where my seats are to what songs are going to be played.  While I still enjoy myself, I wish I hadn’t spent so much time overthinking.  Going impulsively made me feel much more present. I had no idea what to expect, so I paid attention to every little detail.

Going to concerts is exhilarating, and going on a whim is the purest form of that exhilaration. Without worrying about it, I was able to focus on nothing but the concert and really cut loose.  While the world may not be as safe as it once was, concerts are still a sacred place. You and hundreds (or even thousands) of other like-minded individuals are sharing the same feeling of pure, unfiltered passion and leaving everything else behind. Going without thinking about anything beforehand just adds to an already incredible experience.  

Raegan Cleary is a senior at Lasell College studying Fashion Communication and Promotion. She likes French Bulldogs and long walks to Chipotle. In addition to Her Campus shes been doing theatre for eight years and this spring she'll be in her fourth production of Vagina Monologues. In the future she'd love to become the next Miranda Priestly or the frontwoman in a girl-punk band.