Career

Why LinkedIn is Important for Professional Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

For many people, LinkedIn is an afterthought or they think it’s just like any other social platform, such as Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter. In reality, LinkedIn has become a great professional tool that can lead to jobs, opportunities, and connections. Today, networking online has become more important than ever, and we should be utilizing this tool to help us in the industry!

According to the platform itself, in 2018, 93% of recruiters used LinkedIn to research and recruit candidates. That being said, having a strong LinkedIn profile will significantly increase your chances of being contacted by recruiters from companies that fit your skills and experiences. They will contact you if they think you’re a good fit for the company, and this will be even more likely if you’re consistently posting and engaging on the site. Your profile builds trust and credibility that’s important for employers, and engaging with content gets your name out there even more. 

LinkedIn also offers an opportunity to network with other people in your field by making connections online. These connections may help you in your career in the future. You can also use the platform to research companies, hiring managers, interviewers, and recruiters yourself to help you throughout the application process of a new job.

Want to start engaging more on LinkedIn but not sure where to start? Here are a few ideas!

• Start liking and resharing posts from companies you’re interested in
  • Remember that posts using photos get more traction
  • Post anytime:
    • You’re involved in a professional project
    • You’ve gained a new certification
    • You want to ask for advice from industry professionals, ask an open-ended question to start a discussion
    • You have some professional insight to share, such as productivity hacks, or your process of getting into the industry
    • You’ve overcome an obstacle and want to share
    • You want to ask a survey style question (use this LinkedIn feature when you post)
    • You’ve updated your resume or digital portfolio
    • You want to show support for an important cause

Coming up with content ideas can be a challenge, so this is a good place to start in your LinkedIn journey! According to the platform, over 810 million members use LinkedIn in 200 countries. Many connections are waiting, so don’t miss out on the opportunity to enhance your professional career and find your dream job.

Alexis Grant

Lasell '23

A Junior at Lasell University, Alexis majors in Journalism and Media Writing with a minor in Fashion Media and Marketing. Alexis is interested in dance, photography, social media, travel, and music. In her free time, she enjoys binge-watching her favorite tv shows on Netflix and spending time with her friends and family!