This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

At the end of a long day, it feels so good to take a Neutrogena makeup wipe and just run it across your face to take off the makeup that has been sitting on your face all day.  This was part of my daily night routine for years, until I decided that makeup wipes may not be the best solution for my skin and for removing my makeup.

While in quarantine, I watched tons of videos by the YouTuber Hyram Yarbro, also known as “Skincare by Hyram”. I came across him on TikTok and found myself becoming more and more interested in skincare. Yarbro frequently mentions makeup wipes (most often Neutrogena specifically), in order to bring to the attention of his followers the downsides of using them.

Depending on how much makeup you are wearing, you may need to use one or two makeup wipes to clean your face fully. Since these makeup wipes are single-use, they end up becoming very wasteful and will eventually lead to these wipes piling up in landfills or in the ocean. These wipes are not able to be recycled so this waste is then created. 

Furthermore, makeup removing wipes can be overly stripping and quite harsh on the skin. These wipes contain drying chemicals that remove the natural oils from the skin. As a result, this can cause irritation and inflammation of the skin. Plus, there is typically still leftover makeup still on your face that the wipe just can’t get off.

I then came across micellar water which I have now been using in place of makeup wipes. The Bioderma Sensibio Micellar Water is the product I have switched to which has worked wonders on my skin. This micellar water is fragrance-free which helps with irritation and sensitive skin. 

When following up with a cleanser after my micellar water, my skin thoroughly feels clean and truly free of makeup residue. Say goodbye to makeup wipes and hello to pampered skin!

Julia McNicol is a junior at Lasell University studying Fashion Media and Marketing with a minor in Journalism. She loves exploring the city, shopping, and watching a good rom-com! Her Instagram can be found at @juliamcnicol as well as @juliashannonxoxo for fashion-specific content.
Ariana is the Editor In Chief for Her Campus Lasell. She is a senior at Lasell double majoring in Business Management and Marketing. When she's not editing for HC Lasell, she's binge-watching Netflix or buried in a good book.