Why I Stan for YouTube Sensation Tana Mongeau

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

At 3.3 million subscribers, Tana Mongeau is a YouTuber that pretty much everyone has heard of, whether positively or negatively.  The overall opinion on her is pretty mixed with some people who think she’s obnoxious, high maintenance and flat out annoying, while other people praise the ground she walks on.  Personally, I sorta fall on the latter of the two and every time she posts a new video I always have to watch it to see what crazy stuff she’s up to. Tana plays a role of a wild card on YouTube so it’s almost FOMO when she posts a new video.  Will she be watching and reacting to her friends having sex again? Will she smoke weed on camera again? Will she do another story time regarding her stalker again? The possibilities are really endless with her. Here are the reasons I choose to be a total Tana Mongeau stan:

She keeps it real

Some YouTubers will sit and lie straight to their subscribers just for the views and will use tactics such as “clickbait” to ensure they get the most clicks for their over exaggerated.  Tana, however, constantly keeps it real and if she says she will be delivering something, she delivers. It may not always be YouTube monetization friendly, and she knows that, but she constantly tries to go over the top.  Her most recent example of this was when she completely exposed VidCon for the horrible, money hungry company they are. In an hour and a half video, Tana put her entire career on the line just to let her fans know how the truth of the company that so many YouTube fans **used to** support.  Her video actually inspired many other YouTubers, who were too scared to ruin their career before, to come out about their horror stories of VidCon.

She’s relatable AF

Sure, we may not ALL have had a crazy stalker since elementary school, have accidentally drank molly water, or have been sought out by G Eazy at 15 years old, but Tana still is super relatable.  Unlike other Youtubers, Tana will just sit and eat fast food and shit talk on camera. She also doesn’t try to be on the “beauty guru” trend and admits she’s actually horrible at doing her own makeup.  She doesn’t rely on stylists and makeup artists like other YouTubers as well, it’s just Tana in her natural form discussing crazy aspects of her life.

Wild Card, Wild Card, Wild Card

Like I said before, Tana is a WILD CARD, you really never know what she’s going to post next.  Every time I don’t watch her videos, I feel like I’m going to miss out on some crazy aspect of her life. Not only that, but watching her almost feels like living vicariously through all the dumb antics she gets herself into.

Whether you like her or hate her, there’s no denying that Tana is quickly climbing up the YouTube charts.  If you just watch her vlogs, her story times, just listen to her new music, or don’t watch her at all, it’s evident Tana isn’t going anywhere any time soon.

Madison Paloski is a senior at Lasell University studying fashion communication and promotion and graphic design.  She is currently the Editor in Chief of her school's chapter of Her Campus, an editorial stylist for POLISHED Magazine and Founder and Creative Director of the Fashion Styling and Photography Club on her campus.  She can most likely be found with an old film camera in hand, eating Chipotle, or at any local Saver's.  Her Instagram can be found at @maddiiiooyx and other work can be found at madisonpaloski.wixsite.com/portfolio.