Life > Experiences

Why I Love Going to College in the Boston Area

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

When deciding on my college during my junior year of high school, I knew I wanted access to a city. As I was born and raised in New York City but have since been living in Connecticut for some time, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to go to school in New York again. When I visited my now-college, Lasell University, it gave me the opportunity to be in both the suburbs and have access to a nearby city. 

1. I Get To Enjoy All the City Schools Without Being in a City School

One of my favorite things to do with my friends on days out is to check out other campuses. From Boston University to MIT, it’s an exciting feeling to imagine how other students’ lives would be. Especially visiting more than once. 

1. Boston is a Digestible City

Boston is an excellent digestible city for most college students who want to live in the city. Especially amongst other schools, this city is filled mainly with students. I’ve also noticed that walkable places tend to be more enjoyable in life. You are constantly entertained by events, weird characters, many career paths, and city adventures. 

1. Boston is a College-Student-Run City

From my freshmen year, to junior, to now I noticed because all the bigger schools around the city felt safe for me. There are some areas to be cautious of as there are anywhere in the world. However, everywhere, even late at night I still see people my age which is comforting to me. 

1. There’s Always Something to Do (mostly during the day)

From every free Friday I have, my favorite tradition is spending the day in a new area in Boston with my friends. From historical sites to beautiful parks, to historical campus areas, there’s a lot to do and explore. Some people might think the opposite, but I feel like if you’re curious enough you will find something to do! Especially with people watching. 

1. Fashion Major Takes

Not only is Boston the footwear hub for great brands like Puma, New Balance, Reebok, and many more, but it is also the home to Talbots, TJX, and many boutiques. I used to be a little nervous about growing my career in Massachusetts, but I’ve learned to be open-minded about the fashion industry here and found great opportunities.  

I felt like if I had gone to New York City I wouldn’t have had the opportunities I have here. I also felt like I would be lost because New York City has so much. I have no intent to bash Manhattan, as it is my first love. However, as a college student, Boston wins that title for a place of growth in this era of my life. I know this can be different for everyone but I feel like if you are adventurous and open-minded you can make the most out of any location. 

Jade Diaz

Lasell '23

Jade is a Senior at Lasell, majoring in Fashion Merchandising and Management. She adores figurative art, and enjoys being creative in any way possible. She is sneaker- obsessed and loves the world of fashion. One fun fact is that her dog Finn, is named after a Star Wars character named FN-2187.