Why College Students Should Seriously Consider Bullet Journaling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Bullet journaling became popular on social media sites such as Pinterest and Instagram a few years ago, and they’ve been going strong since then.  They’re a planner/journal/habit tracker done on dot-grid paper, and they’re perfect for college students.  If you’ve been debating starting a bullet journal, here are some reasons why you should take the plunge:

They’re customizable

When you buy a bullet journal, you’ll notice that it’s just 200 or so pages of dot-grid paper.  This gives you a blank slate to use it for whatever you deem worthy of it.  I use mine not only to keep track of my school assignments and work schedule but to remember my friends’ birthdays and keep a log of the books I read.  Some people even use them to keep track of which TV shows they’ve been meaning to binge.  It’s really up to you.

You can get creative with it

I can’t do calligraphy-like some bullet journalers that you may see on Instagram, but I do own approximately one billion colored pens and I use that to my advantage.  Every month in my bullet journal is marked by a different color scheme, which makes recording my homework that much more fun. I even assign colors based on holidays or time of year–my September spread is yellow and red (fall colors).   If you’re artistic, you can even draw in them.

They’re all-purpose

As I mentioned before, you can customize bullet journals to fit your lifestyle.  Before I started bullet journaling, I had an academic planner, a “life planner”, and a to-do list.  I have been able to use my bullet journal to do the jobs of all three, so it’s less for me to carry around and keep track of. 

It will help you get organized

I don’t think I’m in the minority when I say that I don’t trust myself to remember all of my assignments, appointments, events that I’ve agreed to go to, my shopping list, etc.  I need to write it down,  A bullet journal is a small but powerful tool to help you remember what to do, where to go, and when.  Just customize it to give yourself space to write those things down.

Cristina is a senior elementary education major at Lasell. She loves black labs, iced coffee, and reviewing every product that she has ever purchased.  When she's not freaking out about how many lesson plans that she has to write, she can usually be found with her nose in a historical fiction novel, listening to a true crime podcast, or taking pictures.