What I Learned From My Freshman Year of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

As a college freshman, I walked into Lasell unknowing of what the next four years would hold for me. I was worried about making friends, grades, joining clubs, basically everything. Now, as my first year of college is coming to a close, I feel that I have learned a few things that I wish my first semester self would have known.

Don’t be worried if you do do not stay friends with people you met over the summer- I spent a lot of time over the summer talking with many of my fellow students, but when I got on campus, we lost touch. Do not be alarmed by this. You will find your set of friends easily enough once you get on campus, you just have to be patient and friendly, to meet a variety of people.

1. It is alright to have friends in various groups

College is the time to make all different friends. Take advantage of that and talk to everyone.

2. Not every professor is going to be great

You will not always have an awesome professor, but still, try your hardest to maintain your grades. This may mean spending extra time reviewing the material, but it will help you so much in the long run.

3. You are going to have to pull some all-nighters

I always said I would get all my work done early in the day and never be up late at night doing work. But, sometimes life gets in the way and you end up spending all night perfecting your work, especially during finals week.

4. Do your homework

I know this may seem like a redundant phrase, but even when you do not want to do your work, do it anyway, because homework and projects have serious weight in your averages.

5. Join many different clubs

Joining a variety of clubs allows you to be connected on campus in various ways, as well as meet new people and try new things.

6. Always dress nicely for presentations

This not only makes you look more professional, but it puts you in a productive mindset and makes you ready to nail the presentation.

7. Do not be afraid to ask questions

The professors are there to help you because they want to thrive and to succeed. If you do not understand something, do not be afraid to ask for help, because they want to offer you as much help as you need to excel in your craft.

8. The freshman 15 is real

Many people will warn you about the weight you may gain from college life. It can happen and it is very easy to let yourself slip and spend night after night eating junk food. Try to incorporate healthy choices into your meals and/or attend the on-campus gym to stay in shape.

9. Do not let anyone stop you from doing what you want

College is your first glance of freedom and the real world. Do not be afraid to go after an e-board position, or apply for a job, or take a different approach to a task that was handed to you. As long as what you are doing is safe and has logic and reasoning behind it, follow your dreams and create the best version of yourself by making your own decisions.

Anna Wall

Lasell '22

Lasell University Event Management Student, Class of 2022. She loves llamas, event planning, and country music :)