you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

On vs Off Campus Jobs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

If you’re like any other college student, you’re constantly on the look out for jobs. How do you know what job is the right one? Do you want an off campus job? Or do you want an on campus job? How do you know which  will be the right fit? Let’s take a look at the break down.

On campus jobs. A recent survey of Lasell students say that having an on campus is great because it is more convenient, no driving involved, usually the job is more flexible with your class schedule, you get more acquainted with the student body, and most jobs are considered work study to help pay for college expenses. The most popular response for a pro for having an on campus job was how convenient it is to simply walk a few minutes across campus. The convenience of having an on campus job will help you save money on gas, and avoiding any kind of traffic. If balancing school work is an issue, you’re in luck because some on campus jobs, you’re able to get some school work done. The most popular con for having an on campus job included having a limited network, which might not help you out in the long run of your college career.

Off campus jobs. The most popular pro for having an off campus job was increasing your network which will in fact help you, especially searching for internships, or life after college. Another important pro for having an off campus job is that you get more familiarized with the area you are living. You’d be amazed the different routes, restaurants, or hangout spots found just by driving around. Two popular cons for having an off campus job included the commute and dealing with traffic because it is unpredictable especially if the weather isn’t cooperating. Lastly, the second popular con for having an off campus job was relying on public transportation, if you don’t have a car, which is painful because public transportation is never on time, or reliable if you’re in rush and need to get somewhere in a hurry.

Whether it’s an on campus job or off campus job, it’s important to seek a job that you are interested in. It is also important to carefully list your own pros and cons for your job options and see which is best for you. 

Photo 1, 2, 3