Is Voting for Third-Party a Wasted Vote?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

With the 2016 election right around the corner, voters are still deciding if they should pick Trump or Clinton. Over the course of the presidential race that has been a “joke” according to some, many believe their only choices are a Republican or Democrat. As younger voters enter the polls this year, it’s best to keep in mind that you have more than two options.

If you are unsure about Trump or Clinton, research other candidates like Gary Johnson (Libertarian) and Jill Stein (Green Party) about their stance on important topics. Make sure the third-party candidate you’re voting for is someone you agree with on multiple topics and best suitable to be in office.

A third-party candidate is someone who has received thousands of signatures on petitions to be put on the ballot along with the Democratic and Republican nominees. In all states, the major parties are automatically put on the ballot and the third-party candidate is added depending on how many signatures they have received.

It seems the third-party is highly under-represented. Therefore, a myth that voting for them is a “wasted vote” has been created to last for years. However, this myth proves wrong, considering the third-party is just as powerful as the Democratic and Republican parties. Many believe voting for a third-party candidate helps to put one of the “bad” candidates in office. However, it doesn’t take one individual vote to decide the election. In a way, the third-party candidates can be considered the “underdogs.”

For the younger voters this year, keep in mind that you do in fact have more options than just two candidates. Voting third-party is not a waste, because it is voting against the system and sending a message to our government.

Explained perfectly by Marc Joffe, a writer for The Fiscal Times: “If a third-party candidate receives many votes, or enough votes to change the outcome of an election, political leaders receive a signal that the ideas advanced by the third candidate are worth considering.” Voting for the third-party represents your own opinion and proves that the ideals third-party candidates have are strong and worth considering. This sends a clear message to the government on what the people want.

Some third-party candidates to look up:

Gary Johnson

Jill Stein

Virgil Goode

Polls will be open on Nov. 8 from 7am to 8pm, so go out and vote!

*Thumbnail

Avalon is a freshman Communicatons major with a focus in Journalism/Media Writing at Lasell. As a brand new member of Her Campus she is excited to explore all new and different forms of writing while also expanding her writing skills. Avalon is also one of the DJ's for Lasell's radio, her show is on Mondays-Thursdays from 8pm to 9pm. In her free time she enjoys reading, writing, editing photos, listening to music and watching many movies.