Vice Presidential Nominees: What You Need To Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Election Day is November 8th, and is rapidly approaching. While people think they know everything about each presidential candidate, do we know anything about the vice presidential candidates? Here’s a quick run down of each nominee:

TIM KAINE

Who is he? A senator from Virginia and Hillary Clinton’s VP

What his stance is on:

Abortion: Kaine, as of 2008, said he personally is opposed to abortion, but still continues to fight for a woman’s right to have an abortion if needed. He supports women’s rights to make their own healthcare decisions.

Civil Rights: Kaine does not discriminate against gay judges, and tried to pass laws favoring domestic partnerships. He voted YES on reauthorizing the Violence Against Women Act.

Education: Kaine believes it would be right to cut loan interest rates, and have more tuition assistance.

Environment: Kaine voted YES on protecting ocean, coastal, and Great Lakes ecosystems.

Gun Control: Kaine supports restricting the Second Amendment, and wants to limit high-capacity to clips to no more than ten bullets.

Health Care: Kaine is against repealing Obamacare.

MIKE PENCE

Who is he? Governor of Indiana and Donald Trump’s VP

What his stance is on:

Abortion: Pence voted YES on banning federal health coverage that includes abortion, and voted YES on topics that can defund and restrict abortions. He believes the country should not federally fund abortion, and is pro-life.

Civil Rights: Pence does not believe in marriage equality. He voted YES on defining marriage as between one man and one woman, and voted NO on prohibiting job discrimination based on sexual orientation. He voted YES on banning same-sex marriage in the U.S.

Education: Voted NO on $84 million in grants to historically black and Hispanic colleges, voted NO on requiring states to test students, and is a supporter of not taking the word “God” out of the Pledge of Allegiance.

Environment: Pence voted NO on barring a website promoting Yucca Mountain nuclear waste dump. Pence voted YES on deauthorizing “critical habitat” for endangered species and voted YES on speeding up approval of forest thinning projects.

Gun Control: Pence voted YES on prohibiting suing gun manufacturers, gun sellers, or gun makers for product misuse. Pence also believes in loosening restrictions on interstate gun purchasing.

Health Care: Pence voted NO to regulated tobacco as a drug, expanding Children’s Health Insurance Program, and on giving mental health full equity with physical health. Pence voted YES on denying non-emergency treatment for lack of Medicare co-pay.

We hope this helped you gain a better understanding of each running mate, and remember: Election Day is November 8! Register to vote, get an absentee ballot, and get to the polls in less than a month. You can get more information here.

Kyle Mahoney

Lasell '18

Kyle Mahoney is a recent Lasell College graduate. Kyle majored in Communications with a concentration in Public Relations, with a minor in Business. Kyle has written for Her Campus Lasell for three years, as well with completing an internship with HCHQ Spring semester of 2018.