The Vagina Monologues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Last night, with the guidance of peer health educator Allie Whitcomb, a group of Lasell students put on a production of “The Vagina Monologues”. “The Vagina Monologues” is a compilation of interviews with over 200 women, conducted by renowned playwright and activist Eve Ensler. These interviews focused on women’s experiences and unique relationships with their vaginas, as well as tackling tough issues of sexual assault, gender-based violence, and female genital mutilation.

The amazing Lasell women that performed each delivered a monologue from these interviews, and expressed how dangerous, frustrating, and amazing having a vagina can be. The show was both hilarious and heartbreaking, uncomfortable and empowering. At the end of the night, everyone left the auditorium with a new understanding of what it means to have a vagina.

However, the show didn’t only empower women through sharing stories, it also empowered women by supporting a good cause. All of the proceeds of the show went to the Boston Rape Crisis Center and the V-Day Foundation. The Boston Rape Crisis Center provides invaluable medical and psychological help to those affected by sexual assault in the Boston area, while the V-Day Foundation works to raise awareness about the sexual and physical violence against women around the world.

Great job to all of the Lasell students that participated in this event, and helped remind us that “Every pair of lips has a story to tell!”

Freshman at Lasell College. Interested in fashion, feminism, and fearlessly pursuing my dreams.