Career > Her20s

The Truth Behind Lasell’s First Month of College in a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

So as I am writing this, I am sitting in my dorm, where I’ve been all day, but honestly, I would not change a thing. Being back on campus has been quite a different experience, but it has taught me to take more responsibility and respect for my school work, myself, and the safety of the students and staff on Lasell’s campus. Many students decided to be online for the semester, but for resident students, being back on campus is a whole new situation. 

This morning I woke up, threw on my outfit, with my new favorite accessory, my mask, and before I walked out the door, I logged into CoVerified, Lasell’s symptom tracker, and reported no symptoms and left for class. We have to do this everyday, and if you are clear, which is decided after reporting any or no symptoms, you are free to walk around campus and go to class that day. I walked into class, grabbed a wipe from the wipe stand, and cleaned off my chair and desk. My teacher promptly checked our symptom verifications before class, and then I had a full day of learning, with three back to back classes all repeating the same process. 

I also got my first COVID test of the week today, Lasell resident students are required to get them twice a week, following either a Monday-Thursday or Tuesday-Friday rotation. The students do the tests themselves, in front of a professional, and the process only takes about two minutes. To some, it may be a pain, but it allows the campus and everyone on it to be safe. We find out our results by the next morning, which is helpful to keep everyone informed about their health. 

The dining hall also has a different set-up this year. Going through a different door to a maze of tables to scan your ID, you then follow a series of stickers marking six feet between spots leading to the different stations. You have a plastic bag you carry with you, and when you ask for a certain food, they drop it in your bag, similar to trick or treating. All of the food is prepackaged in styrofoam boxes, and students go outside to one of the various socially distanced tents to take off their masks and enjoy a meal with their friends. 

Many might think living in a dorm during this time is risky, but if you follow proper tips, it really isn’t. Bringing a mini Lysol spray to the bathroom to sanitize before use may seem like too much, but can keep you safe. I also keep a large bottle of hand sanitizer at the entrance to my dorm, so my roommate and I can always use it when I get back from being out on campus. There is also a new rule that your friends cannot come into your dorm this year. Although this seems like too much, it allows you and everyone on your floor to stay safe. 

Lasell currently has zero cases, which is great considering that a lot of colleges have already had to send many students back home because the cases have been astronomically high. The students at Lasell truly care about being their and their health, so it is great to see everyone doing their part to limit the spread on campus. Hopefully, since our cases are so low, we may be able to do more in the coming months, but for now, we appreciate all Lasell is doing for us,  because it allows us to return to LaserLand once again.

Anna Wall

Lasell '22

Lasell University Event Management Student, Class of 2022. She loves llamas, event planning, and country music :)