This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

When I’m looking to get lost in a new Netflix show, I frequently find myself turning to one specific genre: crime shows. This all started about two years ago when one of my best friends introduced me to Criminal Minds. I was quickly hooked on not just the show, but the whole genre of crime shows. I devoured all 15 seasons of Criminal Minds and then quickly moved on to the next Netflix recommendation. Keep reading to find out my top ten crime picks, all of which are on Netflix. 

1. Criminal Minds (2005)

The first pick on this list has to be the show that started it all for me: Criminal Minds. This show is classified as an American police procedural crime drama that follows the FBI’s Behavioral Analysis Unit (BAU). You’ll quickly fall in love with the cast of main characters and each of the 15 seasons ends with a cliffhanger that will have you biting your nails and pressing ‘next episode’ as quickly as you can. Quick note: Netflix currently only has the first 13 seasons of the show, but seasons 14 and 15 are available through Amazon Prime Video. 

2. Lucifer (2016)

Next up on our list is Lucifer, an American urban fantasy TV series that follows the DC Comics character Lucifer. Lucifer, also known as the Devil himself, starts a nightclub in Los Angeles and becomes a consultant to the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD). So far, the show has 5 seasons with the sixth and final season set to come out within the next year. All of the seasons are currently on Netflix!

3. Hannibal (2013)

Another nail-biting show that I’ve just recently discovered on Netflix is Hannibal, which tells the origin story of the infamous cannibal Hannibal Lecter. The show follows his relationship with Will Graham, a special FBI agent. As a warning, this show is one of the gorier and grosser shows on this list, but if blood and body parts don’t bother you, this storyline is too good to pass up! This show has 3 seasons, all of which are currently on Netflix. 

4. NCIS (2003)

Similar in status to Criminal Minds, NCIS is an American action police procedural TV series that follows a team of special agents known as the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS). This show is currently ongoing, with the 18th season having recently been released. Netflix currently has all episodes of the first 15 seasons. 

5. Forensic Files Collections (2011) 

This show currently has 9 seasons (called collections) and was filmed as a documentary-style series. The show follows a team of detectives and crime lab technicians as they use the latest procedures to solve crimes. Netflix has all 9 collections available!

6. Quantico (2015) 

Starring Priyanka Chopra Jonas (who doesn’t love her?!), this show is classified as an American thriller drama TV series that follows FBI trainees as they unravel the mystery behind a terrorist attack. There are 3 seasons, all of which are currently available on Netflix. 

7. The Blacklist (2013)

A brilliant fugitive offers to help the FBI catch the people they’ve been chasing, but only if a certain rookie profiler is his partner. This show is an American crime thriller TV series that currently has 8 seasons, 7 of which are on Netflix. The show is still in progress, and the 8th season will be coming to Netflix soon with the addition of the 9th season that is currently being filmed. 

8. Unit 42 (2019)

This Netflix original series is a Belgian TV series that follows a widowed cop who is put in charge of a special cybercrimes unit. The unit ends up teaming up with a former hacker in order to hunt down tech-savvy criminals in Belgium. Netflix currently has season 1, and season 2 will hopefully be making its way to Netflix soon. 

9. Mindhunter (2017)

Another Netflix original series, Mindhunter is an American psychological crime thriller TV series that follows two FBI agents in the late 1970s as they work to expand criminal science by delving into the psychology of murder. They end up getting very close to the killers they are studying… There are currently 2 seasons, both of which are currently on Netflix. 

10. Sherlock (2017) 

This British crime TV series follows an eccentric Sherlock Holmes as searches for clues in the streets of London. Starring Benedict Cumberbatch, this is worth a watch just for our beloved Dr. Strange (Marvel fans know what I’m talking about). This show currently has all 4 seasons available on Netflix and on DVD. 

Let me know in the comments below what your favorite crime show is! Have you watched any of these shows?

Attends Lasell University and is currently a senior (class of 2023). An elementary education major with a minor in child and adolescent studies. A proud member of the LGBTQ+ community, I love the color yellow, crocs, and all kinds of tea!