Career

Tips For Scoring Your Dream Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Students who attend Lasell are required to do an internship before they graduate. Most other colleges do the same as well. There are many tips for scoring your favorite internship like having someone trustworthy review your resume. To break it down to the most important ones, here is a list of the most helpful tips for scoring that internship. 

1. Search Often: Websites such as Chegg internships, Indeed, and Linkedin are updated every hour with opportunities. Do not limit yourself to searching just in the beginning. While you are waiting to hear back about internships, continue to search continuously. Searching on google brings up many opportunities and a personal favorite was Chegg.com internship search. 

2. Have Connections: Many people can help with finding internships, i.e. professors, advisors, school internship coordinator, family members, friends, classmates, someone you volunteered with, and coworkers from past jobs. When looking for an internship, it is important to ask them for help or if they have any connections that could lead to an internship. 

3. Filter Your Search: Make to use keywords when searching, i.e. “remote internship,” “communications,” “fashion,” etc.

4. Apply to Ones You Might Not Even be Qualified For: Even if someone does not qualify for every single qualification on the list for an internship, they should not steer away from applying. There is still a chance they could get the internship and any interview is great practice. 

5. Cover Letter: Cover letters work best when they are geared towards the internship and not a generic one. It is best to make the cover letter unique and not have it just repeat what a resume says.

Hope these tips help and help you score your dream internship!

Emalee is a Senior at Lasell University and the President of Her Campus Lasell. She is currently a Campus Community Management Intern for Her Campus! She is a Fashion Merchandising and Management major and a Communications minor. Besides Her Campus, she is the President of Newman Society, loves taking photos, going for hikes, and going to the beach.