books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

We all want to be productive, yet many of us can’t seem to get everything done in a timely manner. This can be a huge issue for that effects everyday life is the average person. If you are tired of procrastinating and running out of time in a day, these tips are perfect with you.

1. Improve your mindset

Enter yourself into the mindset that you have enough time in the day and that you can get everything done. You need to have trust in yourself that you complete all your work in a timely manner. If you keep telling yourself, you can’t do this then you won’t be able to. The mind is a powerful tool. Our thoughts have a direct effect on our reality. No one is perfect, but start small and say “I can do this” when you notice negative thoughts. You need to focus on your past successes to help break out of this negative thought pattern. Don’t overthink your work and have trust in yourself.

Many people fall into the trap of procrastination. Procrastination is when you resist doing work. When you are procrastinating you are actively avoiding doing your work. When you procrastinate you are blaming yourself because you aren’t getting your work done. Maybe you stressed because you know the assignment is due but simply don’t want to do it. You need to accept that no one is perfect and that perfection is killing your productivity. You need to bite the bullet. Just sit down and do it. The sooner you are able to get the work done, the sooner you are relieved of doing the task. You will no longer have any bad feelings about your work.

2. Make a plan

I have an obsession with planning and have a love for planners, so I am biased. But I think planning is such an important step in improving productivity. Planning is one small actionable step that plays a huge role. All you need to do is write down your tasks and any thought you have then organize it. Once you are done, you should order your task from the most important or the biggest task to the least important or smaller tasks. If you have any big goals or tasks, chunk them down into smaller and manageable tasks. You can cover up the other tasks until you complete the one prior.

3. Change your Environment

Where we work has a huge impact on how productive we are. When you sit down to work make sure you are working in an environment designated for work because this help associates your brain with work. This means getting out of your bed and your dorm. Your workspace should be somewhere quiet to avoid distractions from people. You should also make sure that your workspace is clean because mess stimulated the brain.

Technology can be a huge distraction when you are trying to do work. Your best beast is simply turning off your phone and turn off your notifications on the computer. They have apps designated to helping to make sure you do not get distracted and go on unapproved websites and apps. Checking for your phone when notifications go off adds up on time.

Another huge tip is to take a break in between working, this is a perfect time to leave your workspace and allow your mind time to rest and wander. Many people are afraid of taking breaks, but not taking breaks can have a negative impact on your productivity.

Ariana is the Editor In Chief for Her Campus Lasell. She is a senior at Lasell double majoring in Business Management and Marketing. When she's not editing for HC Lasell, she's binge-watching Netflix or buried in a good book.