Style

Thrift or Flop?: Garment District

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Throughout this school year, I want to try a few different clothing thrift stores in the Boston area. Thrift stores are a great way to save money when you are a broke college kid and be eco-friendly. The first thrift store on my list was the Garment District in Cambridge,MA. Sadly, I hate to say this visit to Garment District for me was a flop. However, I am not totally against going there ever again. Part of the reason it was flop was I feel like there was such a huge hype around going there. I have heard on my campus how great Garment District is. My roommates and I thought it was finally time to go this past weekend, but none of us really found anything. We only ended up with some accessories. It seems like it could have a lot of potential, that is why I am not completely ruling it out. They advertise $2/lb bags, but people can only pick from this certain pile on the ground and I did not personally find anything in there. The store also seems a bit pricey in our opinion. For items that were used, we thought it would be less expensive. For example, I have been searching for 1920’s costume pieces and did see some there. They did have pieces for different Halloween costumes. However, I have done previous research on how much they would cost new on Amazon. I was finding that these used pieces cost just as much there and figured I would just buy them new. Overall, it was a cute store. I would be willing to try to go there again. Maybe it is one of those places where it is hot or miss. This time, it was just not as amazing as everyone makes it seem. Stay tuned for future thrift stores I try and any great fashion pieces I collect!   

Emalee is a Senior at Lasell University and the President of Her Campus Lasell. She is currently a Campus Community Management Intern for Her Campus! She is a Fashion Merchandising and Management major and a Communications minor. Besides Her Campus, she is the President of Newman Society, loves taking photos, going for hikes, and going to the beach.