Wellness > Health

This is How Much Water You Really Should be Drinking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Most often, we all know that we should be drinking a significant amount of water each day to stay hydrated, but how much much water is that exactly? Should we be drinking a glass a meal, half our body weight in ounces, 50 oz? We need a sufficient amount of water because the health benefits are endless. Water helps flush out our toxins and keeps us less tired. Drinking enough water helps by preventing dehydration, which has adverse effects on our body and our health. Everyone’s bodies are different, so this is no one answer that is perfect for everyone, but here are a few things to try and ways to know you have been drinking enough. 

60-80 oz a day is a goal to set, where you can aim for the 60oz as you begin. The more you get accustomed to drinking this much, you can increase your water intake closer to 80oz. One way to ensure that you are consuming this much water is to break it up into small chunks. For example, try to give yourself the goal of drinking 20-25 ounces before lunchtime, then another 20-25 ounces before dinner, and another 20-25 ounces in the evening. Breaking your day up into small pieces can make this seem more reasonable.

Even if you are skeptical of this working for you, there are a few ways to tell if you have drunk enough water or not. According to the Mayo Clinic, you have a sufficient fluid intake if you rarely feel thirsty or if your urine is a light yellow or almost colorless. One of the best times to remind yourself to drink water is to drink whenever you feel thirsty. Drink before, after, and throughout exercise, and drink with each meal. 

Prioritizing hydration and slowly increasing water intake will, in short, result in toxins getting flushed out, hydrated skin, a decrease in bloating, stronger focus, and more energy. Follow these tips to be a healthier you!

Julia McNicol is a junior at Lasell University studying Fashion Media and Marketing with a minor in Journalism. She loves exploring the city, shopping, and watching a good rom-com! Her Instagram can be found at @juliamcnicol as well as @juliashannonxoxo for fashion-specific content.