Career > Work

Things I Wish I Knew Before Working in Retail

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

As a fashion major, working in retail does give the learning aspect that cannot be seen in class. Especially with clients, trends, past trends, markdowns, and visual merchandising. 

1. Find a store you like and are willing to dress for!

I started my first retail job in a holiday store. Before working there, I never shopped there. It was a great first job, especially since it was around the holiday season. However, it was a pretty slow store after that, and I felt bored most of the time. I also never bought anything because it wasn’t a store I liked. So definitely work at a store where you enjoy their products. Some retail stores are willing to give you a wardrobe because you’ll work there. While I worked minimum wage at my first retail job, I had to wear business casual most of the time. I did not like that because I was dressing more than what I was being paid. When I switched to another minimum wage job, it was more relaxed because it was an athletic company. Although I was still at minimum wage, I had more freedom and comfort to dress. 

1. Find Your Environment: Mall or Plaza?

Do you want your shifts to go by fast? Or would you like a laid back shift? Certain retail stores operate based on how much traffic comes into the store. While I worked at the Paper Store, it was a slow day most of the time. However, during a time around a specific holiday, I knew my shifts were going to go by fast. I have noticed that working in a plaza tends to run a bit slow. As I started working at stores in a mall, my shifts have been going by faster than ever! So I like working at a retail store that’s inside a mall. But, I can’t speak for everyone.

1. Know Your Worth!

I spent a year and a half working at the Paper Store. When I finished my last winter with them, as I was going back to college, I knew that I wanted a better environment. When I returned home after my junior spring semester, I was surprised to see an email from my old boss asking if I wanted to return. However, in the email, there was no recommendation for a higher position or pay. As thoughtful as I felt for the consideration, I wanted to move up in a space where I felt appreciated. Ever since I made this decision, I have gotten upgrades to my pay and better positions because of my experience. So if you have quite the experience in retail, definitely ask for better payment when you get a second retail job.

1. Dress and Act your Pay

While I was working minimum wage at my second retail job, I was doing the work of a supervisor but not getting supervisor pay. From training a new employee who just started a week after I started as well, to working by myself on traffic-heavy days such as tax week, that was a time in which I would not perform again unless my salary reflected my hard work. 

In the end, this is what I wished I knew. I can’t speak for everyone, but I hope they can spot some red flags in retail jobs before it’s too late. So definitely pay attention to your position and make sure you are being asked to do tasks for that position. A sales associate shouldn’t be stressed about doing a manager’s job when they are not compensated for those tasks. 

Jade Diaz

Lasell '23

Jade is a Senior at Lasell, majoring in Fashion Merchandising and Management. She adores figurative art, and enjoys being creative in any way possible. She is sneaker- obsessed and loves the world of fashion. One fun fact is that her dog Finn, is named after a Star Wars character named FN-2187.