Lindsay Thompson-Music Festival Miami Ultra Lights Stage Concert Balloons Music Edm
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

Things I Learned After My First Time Going To A Club

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

When I decided to participate in Halloweekend this year, I was convinced that I needed to have the club experience. Now, I wouldn’t call myself a partygoer but I also wouldn’t consider myself a homebody. I’m definitely more of a healthy mix. Because I like to dance and have a great time with friends, I thought, “Let’s go to the club for Halloweekend.” This thought swiftly came to my head after I had just thrown a Halloweekend party so this was not super planned, but overall, I was super excited. 

We got to the club and the line was extremely long, (which we were expecting), but when I tell you this line was freakishly long, I mean it. The club we went to was also a smaller club, so the fact that this many people wanted to go was absolutely insane and I honestly thought we were never going to make it inside with the amount of people. Luckily we did! After getting in however, all of my expectations quickly dissolved. 

When I got inside I went straight to the bar to get some drinks for me and my friends. These drinks were literally so expensive and as a college student I was not ready to pay such a hefty price. We each paid for our drinks and headed to the dance floor of the club. The music was definitely bumping but more of an EDM vibe which was also not expected. I thought there would be more songs with lyrics and that would get people dancing, but there was only jumping. I kind of just vibed out with my friends while frequently going back to get some more shots to see if that would change my experience with this music; it did not. Low key, I probably should have looked a little more into the club to see the vibe of music, but I thought a little liquid courage would really make the vibes better. 

With all said, did I have a fun time? No. But I did learn some valuable lessons that I feel like would help me enjoy myself in the future. 

1. Wear comfortable, closed toe, and old shoes – people are going to step on you and you’re probably going to step on something you don’t want to.
  2. Pregame, Pregame, Pregame – it saves you money and sometimes a little alcohol can go a long way when it comes to wanting to dance–a little liquid courage if you will.
  3. Get there at a reasonable time – if you don’t want to pay $10-$25 cover and only be able to stay for an hour at most, definitely get there when doors open or at a time where the lines are shorter and you are getting your money’s worth
  4. Research the DJ of the night – knowing what style of music the DJ is known for playing will help you know if the club or that specific night at the club is for you. 
I love anything makeup, hair, and fashion and I love meeting new people!