Celina Timmerman-Girl In Winter Hat In The Snow
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus
Style > Fashion

The Hottest Accessories for the Coldest Months

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Yesterday the sun set at 6 o’clock and I felt like my ears were going to freeze off on my walk back from class. Halloween night, it snowed at my family home back in Western MA. While we can try to stave it off for as long as possible, winter is coming. Whether you enjoy winter or count down the days till it’s above 50 degrees again, the weather stops for no one. The most we can do is live our best lives under blankets of snow. Here in Boston bundling up is essential. Lucky for us, it can also be pretty fun. I’ve compiled a list of the cutest accessories that will allow you to express your style while still staying safe from hypothermia.

Colorful scarves

Last year I was Christmas shopping with my mom and stumbled across an absolutely adorable rainbow-striped knit scarf. I’m not usually one for bright colors, but this seemed to call my name. I’m so glad I bought it because now I can’t go without it. It’s made of alpaca wool so it’s so soft and keeps my neck wonderfully warm. The pop of color lets me express some style when my huge black winter coat covers my outfit. If you don’t take my word for it, Olivia Rodrigo posted a pic of her out and about in a super similar scarf! 

Fingerless mittens

No one wants their hands to freeze when they need to send a text or change a song as they walk to class. Fingerless mittens are the perfect solution! You can still access any screen or use your fingers without sacrificing the warmth of your whole hands. A few years ago my aunt gifted me an adorable pair of purple knitted fingerless mittens, and I treasure them. They’re so easy to slip on and go about my day. I like fingerless mittens a bit more than gloves because you don’t have to worry about the awkward sensation of fabric between your fingers.

Head wraps and balaclavas

If you’ve seen me out on campus in the colder months, I’m most likely wearing a skull-patterned scarf wrapped around my head. While it’s mostly because it makes me look like a hot old Hollywood star, it serves a practical purpose! I have a shaved head so most of the time both my ears and neck are freezing cold. The scarf wrap solves both problems at once. I usually pair it with some large sunglasses to really cement the starlet look. Balaclavas serve a similar purpose, with a cool edginess. Not only are all these accessories amazing great pieces to have ready, but they are also all able to be handmade. If you’re skilled at crochet or knitting, this is an amazing gift to make for a loved one or yourself this upcoming holiday season.

Julia LaPlante is the Vice President and Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Lasell. She oversees and assissts and E and S boards as well as the copy editing team. Away from Her Campus, Julia is a senior English major at Lasell. She works at Lasell's library as she studies towards her Masters in Library and Information Science. In her free time, Julia enjoys reading gothic literature, watching nerdy television shows, and walking in nature. Julia deeply believes in the importantce of mindfulness and chocolate to ones attitude.