Career > Her20s

The Best Thrift Store in Cambridge, MA: The Garment District

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

As a college student, when shopping it is important to save your money while also finding some great clothes. The best way to go about this is by thrift shopping. One of the best thrift shops I have personally been to is The Garment District, located on Broadway Street in Cambridge, Massachusetts. It is just a short T-ride away from the Lasell campus and is such a rewarding shop to visit. 

When you walk into the store, the first thing you see are bins and piles of clothes filling up the floor. The first floor is personally my favorite because the bags you fill with these clothes are weighed at checkout, meaning they are the cheapest in the store. I got a really cute green top, looking new with no stains, for only 80 cents! At this time of the year, with Halloween on its way, they also have half the room filled with costumes, including some upstairs. The bottom floor consists of your generic Halloween costumes: pirates, fairies, prisoners, etc. But the upstairs has costumes from all eras, including disco, the 1920s and even Western outfits. The shop is nicely organized upstairs, so it is easy to find exactly what you want. I noticed a family bringing their kids to find family Halloween costumes, and the little girl was telling her dad she found what she wanted to be. The store is welcoming to all people and all different ages. 

The Garment District has clothes for any occasion, casual or fancy. I went shopping in need of clothes suitable to be worn in a professional atmosphere. I left with a 38 dollar blazer and pant set that fit me perfectly. The dressing rooms are also very spacious and there are many of them, so you don’t have to wait in a line.

Other than clothes and costumes, this thrift shop also carries handbags, belts, hats, and shoes. While scouring the rows of shoes, I saw a decent pair of clean, black vans. They also had an assortment of heels and sneakers. Unlike some other thrift stores, this one has a very nice sense of style while also having options for anyone’s personal preference. I could see anyone from a young child, to college students, to my own grandmother shopping in the Garment District. 

In the end, I left with a blazer, pants, two long sleeve shirts, tights and a skirt, the total only coming to 65 dollars. If I were to have shopped at a name brand store for these same items, my total would have easily come to over 100 dollars. It is important in college to work on saving your money on these things, like clothes and accessories, while also having some fun with your shopping. I believe that thrifting in a place like the Garment District is the perfect way to do this!

Hello! My name is Olivia Prisco and I am a Psychology Major at Lasell University in the class of 2026. I am from Cape Cod, Massachusetts and I enjoy writing, playing tennis, and watching comedies. I am excited to be a part of the HER Campus community.