etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ted Mosby’s Best and Worst Dates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

How I Met Your Mother is a show centered around Ted Mosby (played by Josh Radnor) telling his two children the story of how he met their mother. The story is a long one, and lasted for nine seasons. Through those seasons, Ted dated numerous women and kept everyone guessing on who the mother would be. Here is a list of Ted’s five best and worst ex-girlfriends/dates. Both lists are in no particular order, just a general list of women he dated. Next to the character’s name are the season(s) they appear in. CAUTION: SPOILERS

THE BEST

Victoria (Seasons 1,7-9) – Ted Meets Victoria (played by Ashley Williams) during season one at a wedding. The two hit things off immediately. The two started happily dating until she got accepted into a cooking fellowship in Germany. While in Germany, Ted cheats on Victoria leading them to break up. Later, in season 7, the two cross paths again. Even though engaged, Victoria leaves her fiancee for Ted, and they date for season 7 into season 8, move in together, there may have even been a proposal. The couple breaks up when Victoria gives Ted an ultimatum to either cut off his friendship with Robin or else she will leave him. Ted could not stop being friends with Robin, so Victoria had to stick to her word and end things with him. Although Victoria gave him an ultimatum, they had very good chemistry and she was very supportive of him.

Stella Zinman (Season 3-4) –  Stella (portrayed by Sarah Chalke) was the dermatologist who removed an unflattering tattoo Ted drunkenly got one evening. Stella was a very guarded single mother and hasn’t dated in years. Ted never stopped pursuing Stella romantically until she finally said yes. Stella and Ted’s relationship moved quickly and the two really got along well together. What seems to be only a few months into their relationship, Season 3 ends with Ted proposing to Stella. Season 4 opens up to Stella accepting his proposal. The two then starting planning a wedding while still getting to know each other. Along the journey, Stella’s sister cancelled her wedding and Stella and Ted decide to take it over. Last minute, Stella leaves Ted at the alter. Stella leaves Ted for her daughter’s father, Tony. Even though Stella tragically leaves Ted at the altar, she had a good impact on Ted and Ted learned from their relationship.

Jen (Season 5) –  Although not a main relationship, Jen (portrayed by Lindsay Sloane) was a significant date for Ted. Jen and Ted were set up on two separate blind dates together, nearly seven years apart. Jen and Ted realize this half way through their date, and ask each other what it is they do why they’re still single. Jen and Ted then spend the rest of the night retracing their last date and going over things the other had done that was weird or rude. The two ended the night with a kiss, but decided on being friends because they were not going to change their flaws for each other.

Janet McIntyre (Season 7) –  Although they only went on one date, Janet McIntyre (portrayed by Amber Stevens) was too good to date Ted. On this episode, Ted and Janet made a promise not to search each other on the internet before their date together. This way, they had no information about them; they did not reveal themselves. Of course, the gang ended up looking Janet up and found some amazing things. Janet graduated from Princeton University at the age of 15, donated a kidney to a stranger, and was the youngest woman to climb Mount Everest. Janet has saved a baby by rescuing him from a creek, inherited a billion-dollar fortune, and loves Annie Hall (also one of Ted’s favorites). After finding out this news about Janet, Ted became intimidated and viewed himself unworthy of dating Janet. Janet was upset he found this information about her, because it always overwhelmed men on dates. The two never went on another date.

Mary the Paralegal (Season 1) –  Mary the Paralegal (played by Erinn Bartlett) is a funny story. Barney told Ted that Mary was a hooker before the date. The whole time they were on a date, Ted thought Mary was a hooker. The two click immediately and bond of similar interests and the chemistry grows between them. Throughout the episode, Mary told the gang that she was a paralegal. Mary really was a paralegal, but Ted did not know that. Ted thought it was all a cover up story and at the end mentioned her being a hooker. Mary was deeply offended, slapped Ted, and stormed off. Mary was good looking, they both loved Star Wars, and they really hit it off. Ted really messed up that one.

THE WORST

Robin Scherbatsky (Season 1-9) – Robin (portrayed by Cobie Smulders) is one of the main characters on the show and Ted’s main love interest for the show. The two date multiple times throughout the series, but Robin breaks Ted’s heart numerous times. Ted describes Robin as his perfect woman, and talks about marrying her one day. The two often clashed over having different opinions on their future. For example, Robin was vocal about not wanting children and not wanting to get married to focus on her career. Ted wants marriage and kids more than anything. Ted learns to let go of Robin in the final season when she marries Barney, but his heart will always have a place for her. Robin being under the worst could be a controversial opinion, but they did not have the same values and were dysfunctional as a couple. They’ve tried to move in together and it did not work out. Robin was not ready to make a big commitment and Ted was ready to take the next step. She has broken his heart numerous times.

Zoey Pierson (Season 6) –  Zoey (portrayed by Jennifer Morrison) and Ted started off as enemies in Season 6. Zoey was an activist working against the deconstruction of The Arcadian, an old Hotel in NYC which would be torn down and replaced with a building Ted designed. Ted tried to flirt with Zoey on their first meeting, and found himself in a dilemma of work and love. The next time Ted meets Zoey was at an event at the Museum of Natural History. Ted met Zoey and her then-husband The Captain. Zoey tends to manipulate Ted into saying things against his work, stating he did not want to tear down The Arcadian. Ted and Zoey became friends after Zoey suddenly starts hanging out with the group, and Zoey’s divorce from The Captain followed shortly after. Zoey and Ted began to date, but they constantly were fighting. The two fought about everything, and Ted was especially mad about Zoey not supporting his dream and him achieving his goals. Ted had to make the hard choice of choosing between his dream and Zoey, and lost Zoey by stating he wants The Arcadian torn down.

Blah Blah (Season 3) – Blah Blah (portrayed by Abigail Spencer), name later revealed as “Carol”, was a girl Ted met while playing World of Warcraft. In the episode she was introduced in, Ted forgot her name, hence the name “Blah Blah”. Blah Blah was a bit crazy and possessive even though they only dated shortly. Blah Blah makes custom handbags that are sold in Japan and insisted on Ted telling everyone they met at a cooking class instead of online. Blah Blah was insanely jealous of Robin and the relationship quickly ends.

Carly Whittaker (Season 8) – Carly (played by Ashley Benson) dated Ted briefly in Season 8. Carly was 20 years old, much younger than Ted. Even though they were attracted to each other, Ted noticed the two had a hard time connecting. Once Carly reveals that she liked Star Wars, Ted was willing to try with the relationship more. After a one-night-stand, Ted finds out Carly was actually Barney’s half-sister. This relationship had no connection and it was pure lust.

Jeanette Peterson (Season 8-9) – Jeanette (portrayed by Abby Elliott) might actually be the craziest woman Ted dated on the series. Jeanette and Ted date during season 8. When they first met, Ted thought it was fate that she always was at the same place as him. Later, Ted finds out it wasn’t an accident, and Jeanette followed him to these places. When Ted realizes she is crazy, he tries to break up with her. Jeanette would usually convince him they were perfect for each other,and would stay together. One day, Ted tried to break up with her for the final time. Instead, Jeanette locks herself in Ted’s bedroom and destroys the room. Jeanette burns Barney’s Playbook for picking up women, a big milestone for Barney and Robin’s relationship. After breaking up with Jeanette, Ted realized that he is ready to make a big commitment, and he is done with being single. Jeanette, even though crazy, was an important relationship for Ted to realize what he wanted in a relationship.  

Kyle Mahoney

Lasell '18

Kyle Mahoney is a recent Lasell College graduate. Kyle majored in Communications with a concentration in Public Relations, with a minor in Business. Kyle has written for Her Campus Lasell for three years, as well with completing an internship with HCHQ Spring semester of 2018.