Swing Into Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

As the lights dimmed and the music started the models of Lasell College’s The Swing of Spring fashion show glowed against the colorful backdrop.   As an homage to the start of this spring season, 15 different spring collections were featured.  More than half of the featured collections are from local stores near Lasell College including a few from Natick Mall like Ann Taylor, Free People, and Neiman Marcus.  Among the store collections featured in the show, our own Lasell College alumni, Sheraz Anwar designed a fabulous line of clothing that the models tastefully displayed down the catwalk.  Other collections in the show were provided by BCBG, Billabong, Blue Iris, CERI Boutique, Charles Neumann, DaShaun Hightower, Eileen Fisher, The House Of Findings, Ivy Boutique, Julianna Rae, and Lucky Brand.  

The most prominent theme found throughout most of the outfits was color, color, and more color.  Big bold hues were trending on this runway and made the catwalk look vibrant and cheerful.  Mixed with the eye catching colors was a diverse range of sparkles and crystal accessories to compliment.  There was never a dull moment during the show.  Every model brought a new spring design to the runway that kept the audience engaged.  In total there were over 50 models that strut confidently down the runway while every pair of eyes in the audience followed along.  Each model who made their way up and down the runway currently attends Lasell College and was selected from a competitive modeling audition.

The chosen models for the fashion show all scored high on catwalk skills, confidence, and attitude during the audition.  It was almost impossible to identify the seasoned models from those who made their first debut as a model that night.   Among the models was Nora McCabe, (a Her Campus staff member for the Lasell College chapter) and she did a fabulous job working the catwalk that night.  Although the audience saw a seamless performance on the catwalk the backstage staff members also deserve a round of applause for directing a memorable show.  The fashion show deserves an A plus for running smoothly and creating a fun transition out of the muted colors and styles of this past winter.     

While The Swing of Spring fashion show was an enjoyable way to view the incoming spring trends and styles it also promoted a great cause by partnering with the Birthday Wishes Organization.  This volunteer organization strives to provide birthday parties to thousands of homeless children each year.  Currently the Birthday Wishes Organization serves 185 shelters and transitional living facilities in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Long Island, New York.  Eventually they hope to provide birthday parties to all homeless children in Massachusetts and to make their model available to homeless family programs nationwide.  

The Swing of Spring fashion show proceeds are donated to the Birthday Wishes Organization to help make their mission possible.  The Lasell College community is proud to have a good relationship with an organization that works for a good cause.  To donate or for more information about the Birthday Wishes Organization contact them at http://www.birthdaywishes.org/.  Overall the fashion show was very successful at creating a lively performance for all who attended.  Students and guests are excited to see what Lasell College can create for its next up and coming fashion show dated to debut in early May.