Ohio University Washington Hall Spring
Ohio University Washington Hall Spring
Hannah Moskowitz

Sustainability at Lasell University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Since Earth Day is coming up, now is a good time to discuss what our school, Lasell University, is doing to keep the campus sustainable. Even though Lasell has a smaller campus than other larger universities, it’s still just as important for our school to do its part. As students, we can inform ourselves of what the campus is doing which can help us make decisions to stay sustainable ourselves.

Lasell has embarked on a journey that will hopefully lead to an 80% reduction in campus carbon emissions by 2050. Here’s how they plan to do it: 

Dining

Since 2017, Lasell’s dining services have been partnered with CERO to compost food waste. This has saved 97 tons of CO2 from entering Earth’s atmosphere during that time. They have also begun to recycle used cooking oil with a partnership through Mass Biofuel. The cooking oil from Lasell is turned into biofuel and heats the Pine Street Inn homeless shelter in Boston.

Facilities and Sustainability Management

There are several refillable water stations around campus, as well as low-flow showers and toilets that use less water. Lasell also has systems in place to recycle rainwater and uses LED lighting, energy-efficient windows and doors, green cleaning products, and Energy Star appliances. The boiler and burner conversions are at 90% efficiency for cooling and heating. Lasell also has a partnership with the Charles River Watershed Association and provides resources for them to improve the river ecosystem.

Transportation

Lasell has hybrid campus police vehicles, and daily shuttle service available to students. There are also bike racks available on campus, 2 EV charging stations, and discounted MBTA Charlie Cards for Lasell students. 

Waste and Recycling

The school has single-stream recycling systems in place, and they recycle paper documents, lightbulbs, and metal. There are also recycling/trash rooms in all residence halls to encourage students to recycle. Lasell donates used resident furniture to a partnership with The Reuse Network Surplus Property Program, and in 2018, the campus donated 273 pieces of furniture to help with relief efforts in Guyana. Lasell Leftovers is also a program that the school has, where students can donate clothing, bedding, non-perishables, or school supplies to be sent to local organizations

To learn more about what our campus is doing to stay sustainable, visit Sustainability at Lasell University.

Alexis Grant

Lasell '23

A Junior at Lasell University, Alexis majors in Journalism and Media Writing with a minor in Fashion Media and Marketing. Alexis is interested in dance, photography, social media, travel, and music. In her free time, she enjoys binge-watching her favorite tv shows on Netflix and spending time with her friends and family!
Ariana is the Editor In Chief for Her Campus Lasell. She is a senior at Lasell double majoring in Business Management and Marketing. When she's not editing for HC Lasell, she's binge-watching Netflix or buried in a good book.