Super Bowl LI Halftime Show: The Perfect Illusion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

This Sunday, Feb. 5, hopefully we will all be sitting on the edge of glory during the LI Super Bowl Halftime show at 8:30 p.m. as Lady Gaga takes the stage. Lady Gaga is known for her elaborate costumes and performances. The halftime show promises to leave the audience with the urge to just dance. Rumor has it that Gaga will rock the roof off of the NRG Stadium in Houston–literally. CBS reporters confirm that the artist will be performing on the roof.

Now sources have already begun to compare Gaga’s performance to those of the past; so let’s take a look back. Past halftime shows have included Stevie Wonder, Britney Spears, Madonna, Katy Perry, Bruno Mars, and Beyonce. And who could forget the jaw dropping performance with not one, not two, but three artists: Coldplay, Bruno Mars, and Beyonce all together on one stage in 2016. All of these past halftime shows were amazing, but with Lady Gaga, we should expect the unexpected. Just when you think that you have seen it all, Gaga will having you falling into a bad romance with her performance.

Expect out-of-this-world costumes that are left to the imagination. We are all aware that Gaga is a fan of making a political statement with her wardrobe. Who knows? Maybe Gaga will come out with a dress made of deflated footballs. I foresee hundreds of back-up dancers and stage managers assisting Gaga as she “miraculously” descends from the roof to a stage on the field. What else could happen?

We could sit here and think of the millions of theatrics for Lady Gaga’s Pepsi Super Bowl Halftime Show, but one thing is a given. By the end of the performance Lady Gaga will leave the audience giving endless applause.

Ariana Matos

Northeastern '21

I am a Northeastern commmunication studies student with a minor in fashion global studies. As a writer correspondent the concentration of my writing are personal reflections on life experiences, fashion, media and culture, food and lifestyle. In addition to being a writer I am a leader for Her Campus NU's Snapchat account.