Substaniable Big Businesses to Shop at Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

As important as it is for individuals to be sustainable, it is even more important that big businesses that each of us looks up to are that way as well. Many businesses recognize this and have done a very good job lately making sure that they incorporate sustainability into their daily lifestyle. Some businesses stress this more than others and want to encourage their consumers and their employees to live this way as well. 

1. Patagonia:  This brand is a clothing brand that sells a lot of clothing that is good for activity and the outdoors. They have spent a lot of their brand life making sure that they are being sustainable. They donate 1% of the money they earn to sustainable organizations. This shows their dedication to the lifestyle. Every June, they hold a cycling event for those who love to ride bikes, which encourages people to get outside and commute on bicycles as opposed to cars. They are hoping to be fully CO2 neutral by the year 2025. By that time, they are looking for their production cycle to be fully sustainable by using solar energy and raw materials. 

2. Apple: Apple strives to be as sustainable as possible with its brand. They really look to reduce carbon emissions. Apple also feels it is a necessity to partner with those who share similar values to them, which is why 23 of their partners believe in having 100% renewable energy in their brand. They also strive to use aluminum in their products due to the fact that it produces lower emissions than other materials. 

3. Ikea: Everyone loves to wander through the various rooms of Ikea, eat the meatballs, and come out with great furniture for very low prices. What makes this company even better is that they are sustainable as well. Ikea makes all of its products using sustainable materials. They also handle their waste maturely as well. 91 percent of the waste that they acquire is either recycled or turned into energy.

These brands do a great job of making sure that they stay sustainable in their company. Considering that they are huge brands and do so much, they are definitely brands that others should look up to and strive to be like in their daily life.

Anna Wall

Lasell '22

Lasell University Event Management Student, Class of 2022. She loves llamas, event planning, and country music :)