Style

Stop Everything: These Are the Fall 2019 Runway Trends You’ll Need in Your Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Once again, the runways have spoken.  Each season has a distinct set of trends put forth and us fashion goers eat it right up.  From New York to London to Paris, this season’s trends went all the way from light and feminine to a complete punk revival.  Not only that but references to every decade from the 70s on have made a fresh new comeback as well.  

With that being said, there were some recurring patterns throughout the shows (and not just that many brands are trying to look more vintage-esque like millennium favorite Gucci).  These patterns are marked to be some of the biggest trends for the fall season and we’re ready to buy every single one of them.  These are the top five staple pieces you’ll want to have in your wardrobe this fall.

Dark Florals

Florals for spring are quite common (Devil Wears Prada, anyone?), but some designers, including Dries Van Noten and Richard Quinn, have flipped the script and started introducing dark romantic florals for the fall. We’ve seen various prints take over for the spring and summer seasons including polka dots and animal print so it’s a nice change to see flora coming back into play.  Instead of your #basic leopard print midi skirt that took over social media this summer, switch it up with a dark floral midi skirt for fall.

Dries Van Noten

Richard Quinn

Knitwear

Scrolling through my Pinterest, all I have seen as fashion’s latest obsession for the upcoming season is the cardigan.  You heard that right: the knitwear cult classic that became popular in the ’70s and again in the ’90s is now making a comeback in 2019.  Knitwear, when done right, can look effortless, chic, and even sexy as shown celebrities like Bella Hadid and Margot Robbie.  Get your hands on a Clara Cardigan from Musier Paris (or the dupe from Urban that can be found here) as your new wardrobe staple.

Christopher Kane

No21

Monochromatic Lilac Looks

Move over millennium pink because runway 2019 introduced us to millennium purple.  We’ve seen head to toe monochromatic looks becoming quite popular within recent months and head to toe lilac is no exception. This bold statement ‘fit is easy to pull off and can make anyone look super put together.  This spring pastel favorite is making its way to fall and TBH we love it.

Tom Ford

Dries Van Noten

Mini Bags

There’s no denying the early 2000s are having a serious fashion moment.  From low rise denim (sadly) to baby barrettes to zebra print, we’ve seen pretty much all of it reinvent itself and actually being wearable again.  One of the best trends to come out of this newfound decade inspo is the mini bag, following the Jacquemus mini bag that swept social media.  These bags, although sometimes impractical, are super cute and can be the perfect statement piece to tie together an otherwise basic look.  These bags are super attainable and easy to find at your local thrift as well!

Left to right: Salvatore Ferragamo, Alexander McQueen, Brandon Maxwell

Bucket Hats

These aren’t your typical run of the mill fisherman hats your grandpa owns.  Hypebae has been popularizing the trend quite often on their social media pages and the accessory proves to be a must-have for any streetwear enthusiast. Just like the mini bag, bucket hats are the perfect accessory to give your look that extra oomph. 

Left to right: Loewe, Gucci, Tom Ford

Madison Paloski is a senior at Lasell University studying fashion communication and promotion and graphic design.  She is currently the Editor in Chief of her school's chapter of Her Campus, an editorial stylist for POLISHED Magazine and Founder and Creative Director of the Fashion Styling and Photography Club on her campus.  She can most likely be found with an old film camera in hand, eating Chipotle, or at any local Saver's.  Her Instagram can be found at @maddiiiooyx and other work can be found at madisonpaloski.wixsite.com/portfolio.