This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

It’s almost time for Spring Cleaning and in case you needed another reason to motivate yourself, we’ve come up with a list of ways you can give back while de-cluttering. It’s time to let go of those stuffed animals collecting dust in the storage room and give them to a child in need. We’ve done the work for you, now find out where you can donate all of your unwanted and unused things!

Towels: Any towels that aren’t being used anymore, are slightly ripped, or have mild bleach stains can be given to your local animal shelter who always needs new goods for cleaning and pet care.

Find a shelter here

Personal Care and Hygiene: Domestic violence and women’s shelters are the perfect place to give things like deodorant, lotion, toothpaste, and even hair elastics. Think about all of the things you use on a daily basis! Just make sure to check the requirements on what your local shelter accepts as some won’t take products with alcohol in the ingredients, for example.

Find a shelter here

Last season’s clothes: Homeless shelters always benefit from receiving warmer clothing, like jackets, hats, and gloves, as well as business attire such as suits and collared shirts. Additionally, halfway houses and drug rehabilitation centers benefit from professional clothing.

Find a shelter here

Food: Non-perishables and unopened condiments can be donated to your local food bank, soup kitchen, or homeless shelter, depending on the requirements. Think boxes of cereal, ketchup and canned vegetables for food banks, and peanut butter and jelly for any sort of shelter.

Find a food bank here

Books and Toys: Non-profit daycares, nurseries, or preschools will happily accept gently used toys as well as homeless shelters, hospitals, and social services.

Whatever you have to get rid of, think about care packages for soldiers, kits for the homeless, churches, schools, boys and girls clubs, nursing homes, and local charities. Of course, you can always donate any of these items to a thrift store, like Goodwill as well (locate a store here). It’s obviously much easier to stick everything in one drop-off but we encourage you to take your service a little further this Spring and make a difference in your own community, no matter how small. We promise you’ll feel amazing after purging your own things and helping someone else out! Happy cleaning!

Katelynn, Lasell's chapter treasurer, is a Fashion Communication and Promotion major at Lasell with a double minor in Graphic Design and Event Management. She just returned from a semester abroad in Florence, Italy and this is her second year writing for Her Campus Lasell. Along with being a part of Graphic Design League, POLISHED Magazine, Hope For Humanity, and the Lasell College Honors Program, Katelynn is a lover of cats and vegan food.